Frequently asked questions

Do I have to be on a specific course to be able to use your services?

No. If you're a Sheffield Hallam student or you graduated from here in the last five years, you're eligible for help – no matter what course you're doing

Is it only for undergraduates?

The service is also available to graduates up to five years after graduation

I am an international student – can I access your services?

Yes, although there are restrictions to any non-European Economic Area (EAA) setting up a business in the UK. Click here to visit the UKCISA website and find out more. We'll explain more about the help we can offer during an initial meeting.

I'm an international graduate – can I access your services?

If you are a non-EEA international graduate, the Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur Scheme gives you the opportunity to set up your own business in the UK after finishing your studies. Visit our support for international graduates page for more information.

We can also support you if you are in the UK and hold a current post-study work visa.

All I've got is an idea – is it too early to ask for help?

Not at all. Get in touch and we can help you explore that idea.

I want to work freelance or be self employed – is it only for businesses?

The service isn't just for businesses. If it's freelance work or self-employment that you're interested in then get in touch.

I'd like to run my own business but I can't think of an idea – can you help?

Yes, we can help you explore some ideas.

When should I register my business?

Refer to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) guidelines for the correct time to register your business. There are also useful HMRC videos on You Tube.

Where do I begin?

Get in touch by phone, by email or in person at the Research and Innovation Office to arrange an initial meeting with a member of the Enterprise team.

What happens at an initial meeting and how long does it last?

You meet a member of the Hatchery team and tell us a bit more about your thoughts about working for yourself. It could be a chance to discuss your business idea or how you might go about working freelance.

We'll also explain to you what we offer and how you can access these services. The meeting takes place at the Research and Innovation Office and lasts around 30 minutes.

Who are the Hatchery team and where are you based?

We're the team that provides students and graduates with business start-up support. We're located at the Research and Innovation Office, Unit 11 at the Science Park next to the Hubs

What is the Hatchery and where is it?

The Hatchery is the free business office space we offer at Sheffield Workstation.

What services do you provide?

I have a question and I can't see it here

Get in touch with your question by phone, by email or in person. We'll be happy to help.

Sheffield Hallam university is not responsible for the content of external websites