Grants and funding
If you'd like to work for yourself but you need financial support to get your idea off the ground, we may be able to help.
If you're a Sheffield Hallam student – or a graduate from the last five years – you can apply for a variety of funding options, including one–off grants and funded schemes.
Prove it is a monthly pre-start competition giving you the chance to win up to £250. This funding could help you
- build a prototype
- run a trial of your service
- fund market research
- promote your idea
- protect your idea
'Without the Prove it Fund my business idea may never have progressed. The money was spent on invaluable marketing that allowed me to launch Data Bitz Ltd and start trading.' Leigh Davidson, Data Bitz Ltd
'The Prove it Fund at the Research and Innovation Office made it possible for me to launch my new jewellery collection to an international audience. The necessary preparation of a thorough proposal encouraged me to calculate real costs and to balance these against the short and long term results I hope to see.'
Contact us to find out more about the eligibility criteria.
Placement Year Entrepreneurship Scheme (PYES)
This scheme is an ideal way to see whether your ideas work in a real business situation during your placement year. And you get expert help with developing the skills and experience you need to be successfully self–employed.
The scheme offers
- an accredited module which is assessed by work–based learning – this means it counts towards your final degree mark
- an independent business advisor who will support you on your placement through regular review meetings
- the chance to tap into specialist advice from marketing, accountancy, law, intellectual property and product development experts
- access to a monthly seminar programme
- a place in The Hatchery, our 24/7 office space
- the opportunity to apply for Prove it – a monthly pre-start competition giving you the chance to win up to £500 funding
You can apply for the scheme through your placement support team. Contact us for further information.
Discover how the Placement Year Entrepreneurship Scheme helped Laurie to become self-employed.
Graduate Start-Up Grant
This grant offers all the support and facilities you'll need to get your venture started. To be eligible, you must have graduated from Sheffield Hallam within the last five years. If you're setting up a business with other individuals, at least half of you must be Sheffield Hallam graduates.
The Graduate Start–Up Grant is for pre-start businesses and offers
- £50 a week to support your business
- free 24/7 business space at The Hatchery free office space
- the chance to meet other Graduate Start-Up Grant recipients to gain support for your ideas and take part in peer-to-peer mentoring at monthly seminars on a variety of business topics
- regular monthly meeting with a business advisor
- free one-to-one meetings with experts in marketing, accountancy, law, intellectual property and product design and development
As a graduate of Sheffield Hallam or its founding colleges, you will be part of the Alumni Connect community for life. There are lots of ways you can benefit from staying in touch with Sheffield Hallam – and it's all free.
Contact us to find out more about the eligibility criteria
Discover how the Graduate Start-up Grant helped Dan Schofield (PDF, 69KB)..
Social Entrepreneurship Awards
If you have an idea that could make a difference to people's lives, the local community or the environment, you could be a social entrepreneur and apply for funding. You can apply for the
- Start Up Innovation Award – offering you the chance to gain support and up to £500 to start your social enterprise
- Grow It Innovation Award – offering funding up to £2,500 for individuals who can present a potentially viable idea with evidence of confidence in it succeeding and the skills to make it a success
To find out more visit the Hallam Union website.