Placement Year Entrepreneurship Scheme
Case study – Steve Rimmer
Through PYES, Steve Rimmer developed his company Endless Promotions, offering corporate hospitality services.
'Going on the PYES programme allowed me to develop my business full time without the worry of university grades. Not only did it allow me to focus my business, the structure of the programme allowed me to assess the performance of the business.'
Steve Rimmer, BSc (Honours) Hospitality Business management with Conference and Events
If you're thinking of setting up your own business, then we can help you gain the skills and experience you need through the University's Placement Year Entrepreneurship Scheme (PYES). We can support you during your placement year to try out your ideas and see whether they work in a real business situation.
The scheme offers
• an accredited module which is assessed by work-based learning. This means it counts towards your final degree mark.
• an independent business advisor who will support you on your placement through regular review meetings
• the chance to tap into specialist advice from marketing, accountancy, law, intellectual property and product development experts
• access to a monthly seminar programme
• a place in The Hatchery®, our 24/7 business accommodation with free facilities including office equipment, access to PCs, MACs and phones, as well as a meeting room and a creative space
• the opportunity to apply for a bursary of £2,400 as well as Proof of Concept funding to help you realise your ideas
How to apply
You can apply for the Placement Year Entrepreneurship Scheme through your placement support team or for further information contact the Research and Innovation Office on 0114 225 3131 or email email@example.com
Graduate Start-Up – for recent graduates of Sheffield Hallam University within the last five years
We can offer all the support and facilities you'll need to get you going with the Graduate Start-Up Grant.
The Graduate Start-Up Grant is eligible to pre-start businesses and offers
• £50 a week from the start date to support your business
• free 24/7 business space at 'The Hatchery' (including office equipment, a meeting room, creative space, PCs and Macs)
• the chance to meet on a monthly basis with other Graduate Start-Up Grant recipients to gain support for your ideas and take part in peer to peer mentoring at monthly seminars on a variety of business topics
• regular quarterly meeting with an assigned business advisor
• access to free 1:1 meetings with experts in marketing, accountancy, law, intellectual property and product design and development
Please contact the Hatchery team at the Research and Innovation Office for further information on 0114 225 3131 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Entrepreneurship Awards
Jointly funded by Sheffield Hallam, UnLtd and HEFCE – new for 2012/13
Do you have an idea that could make a difference to people's lives, the local community or the environment? If so, you could be a social entrepreneur and apply for funding.
Awards are open to all staff, new graduates and students. You can apply for
• Try It Awards – up to £500 for you to try out your idea over 3–6 months. You can develop new skills and take the first steps towards starting your own project.
• Do It Awards – up to £5,000, with an average of £2,500. This award is for people who have already planned and developed an idea and are confident that their project will work. The money is paid in instalments over 6–12 months.
Examples of projects
Current projects that have been awarded funding include
• an after school club which will promote creativity and performance to children
• a music project which works with youths involved in gang culture promoting positive change
• a new cooperative model for delivering home care and community support in Sheffield
How to find out more and apply
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com between 22–30 April 2013.
For further information contact Darren Chouings on 0114 225 3454.