PgCert Teaching English for Academic Purposes
Bookmark or share this page
Study a course designed for experienced teachers of English who wish to develop their knowledge and skills in teaching English for academic purposes (EAP). There is an increasing global demand in higher education for specialised teachers in EAP, and this course gives you the ability to develop your career into this area.
• Suitable for graduates with experience teaching English to speakers of other languages.
• Explore the key issues involved in teaching EAP and develop the competencies needed to work in this area
• Develop an understanding of the conventions of the UK academic culture.
• Learn to critique areas of existing research to support and develop your own teaching.
Distance learning – one year
Fees – home and EU students
Course fees may be subject to annual inflationary increase. For further information see our fees and funding pages.
2014/15 academic year
Typically £2,000 for the course
This course is suitable for experienced teachers of English who wish to develop their career by gaining specialist skills and knowledge in teaching English for academic purposes (EAP).
During the course you learn to
• recognise the differences between general English as a foreign language and English for academic purposes
• demonstrate knowledge of existing literature in EAP
• use and critically evaluate live classroom observation instruments as a method of data collection
• use theory to critically evaluate a range of current EAP materials
• analyse the needs of a group of students and design a suitable EAP course for them using current research and literature sources
• examine your own practice by planning and carrying out structured classroom-based investigations including peer observation
• demonstrate an understanding of current academic issues and their appropriateness to your own professional teaching and learning context
The course is part of the Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) teacher education scheme. It is a professional development qualification designed to meet the increasing global demand for well-qualified teachers in EAP.
Our tutors are practising EAP teachers and course leaders with extensive experience and expertise in designing, delivering and managing EAP courses. We have an established reputation for providing e-teacher education courses at postgraduate level.
The course is delivered distance learning so you use Blackboard, our virtual learning environment, to aid your learning. You also receive peer support from other students on the course.
• language analysis • online presentation • essay on EAP learner tasks, critical thinking and autonomy • reflective account of an aspect of teaching
Normally you need
• a degree
• an English language teaching qualification
• at least two years’ experience teaching English
International students must also have an IELTS score of 6.5 with a minimum of 5.5 in all skills.
• analysing language • the EAP learner • exploring classroom methodologies and practice
This course qualifies experienced teachers to teach academic English to international students in higher education.