Professor Edward Winter
Professor of the physiology of exercise, BEd MSc PhD DSc FBASES FafPE
Phone 0114 225 4333
Research interests/current work
- scaling: adjusting physiological and performance measures for differences in the size of the body as a whole or of its exercising segments
- maximal-intensity exercise
- cardiovascular physiology
- accredited by the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences for research in the physiology of exercise
- 30 years in higher education, seven in schools
- provided physiological support for several sports in particular squash, middle and long distance running and motor racing
- presentations on national and local media
- Edward is one of only five people in the UK who hold a DSc award for sport and exercise science
Selected publications since 2005
Winter, E.M., Jones, A.M., Davison, R.C.R., Bromley, P.D. and mercer, T.H. (2009). Sport and Exercise Physiology Testing Guidelines Volume One Sport Testing and Volume Two Exercise and Clinical Testing. Abingdon: Routledge.
Winter, E.M. and Fowler, N. (2009). Exercise defined and quantified according to the Système International d'Unités. Journal of Sports Sciences, 27: 447-460.
Kempton, M.J., Ettinger, U., Schmechtig, A., Winter, E.M., Smith, L., McMorris, T., Wilkinson, I., Williams, S.C.R. and Smith, M.S. (2009). Effects of acute dehydration on brain morphology in healthy humans. Human Brain Mapping, 30, 291-298.
Nevill, A.M., Balmer, N.J. and Winter, E.M. (2009). Why Great Britain's success in Beijing could have been anticipated and why it should continue until 2016. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 43: 1108-1110.
Wilkinson, M., Leedale-Brown, D. and Winter, E.M. (2009). Validity of a squash-specific fitness test of change-of-direction speed. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance, 4, 176-185.
Winter, E.M. and Cobb, M. (2008). Ethics in paediatric research: principles and process. In Paediatric Exercise Science and Medicine edited by N. Armstrong and W. van Mechelen pp. 3-12. Oxford: Blackwell.
Wilkinson, I.D., Mitchell, N., Winter, E.M., Breivik, S., Greenwood, P., Griffiths, P.D., Van Beek, E.J.R. (2006). Effects of creatine supplementation on cerebral white matter in competitive sportsmen. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine, 16, 63-67.