Welcome to the Humanities Research Centre
The Humanities Research Centre supports the funding, strategy, and development of research in English, History, and Film at Sheffield Hallam.
In the 2014 RAE, 94% of the work submitted by English, and 97% of the work from History, was rated as being at least of international quality, ranking them among the best of new university Humanities departments. The Research Centre supports the activity of eleven Professors and three Emeritus Professors.
- English has an international reputation for its work in creative writing, language, and Renaissance literature, and strengths in modern and contemporary writing and the literature of the long Eighteenth Century
- History has an international reputation for its work on imperial history, and economic and business history, as well as strengths in modern European history, ethnicity, gender and culture, and popular politics in Britain.
- Film has research strengths in Anglo-American film culture, the history of British cinema, European cinema and contemporary film theory.
- For a survey of our current activities and outputs, see the Summer-Winter 2014 Report of the Humanities Research Centre.
- Previous reports: the Spring-Summer 2014 Report of the Humanities Research Centre.
In the discipline areas research groups are organised to support these principal research themes. The groups also work together on areas of shared interest, including cultural history, gender, imperialism and film adaptation.