Professor Malcolm David Whitfield
Phone 0114 225 5453
Malcolm Whitfield is a Professor of Health Economics and Management, Director of the Centre for Health and Social Care Research and Assistant Dean of Research and Innovation at Sheffield Hallam University.
Over the last 35 years Malcolm has developed a comprehensive CV in the design, development and delivery of healthcare at both a system and an operational level. He has a strong track record of consistency and success as a clinician, a manager, a researcher, a teacher and a management consultant at the highest levels both nationally and internationally.
He is particularly focused on developing the interface between theory and practice in health service delivery and the optimization of care delivery in terms of both cost and clinical effectiveness. His recent research activities are focused on applying this approach to explore the economic arguments for investment in public health programs and the clinical effectiveness of prevention, early intervention and systematic treatment of early stage disease.
Malcolm's key strength lies in the breadth of his expertise in the field of health. He has significant credibility as a clinician, manager, policy analyst and researcher and can debate these issues at the highest levels internationally; whilst at the same time having considerable leadership attributes in each of these fields.
He has a detailed understanding of the complexity of health and healthcare delivery, both nationally and internationally, and is able to accurately diagnose systemic and operational problems in health service delivery and bring to bear research-based approaches to resolving them.
Membership / Board Positions
- Professor of Health Economics and Management
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine
- Non-Executive Director Sheffield Clinical Commissioning Group
- Board Member National Centre for Sports and Exercise Medicine
- Sport Academy Board Member Sheffield Hallam University
- Member of Sheffield Chamber of Commerce
- Member of Yorkshire and Humber Academic Health Science Network Development Group (AHSN)
- Board Member of South Yorkshire Clinical Research Network
- Member of Sheffield City Health and Wellbeing Board
- Executive Theme Lead on Sheffield CLAHRC - Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care
- Machaczek K, Whitfield M, Kilner K and Allmark P (2013). Doctors' and nurses' perceptions of barriers to conducting handover in hospitals in the Czech Republic. American Journal of Nursing Research, 1 (1), 1-9.
- Whitfield M, Machaczek K and Green G (2012). Developing a model to estimate the potential impact of municipal investment on city health. Journal of urban health : bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine. (In Press)
- Richards N., Harris K., Whitfield M., O'Donoghue D., Lewis R., Mansell M., Thomas S, Townend J, Eames M. and Marcelli D. (2008). Primary care-based disease management of chronic kidney disease (CKD), based on estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) reporting, improves patient outcomes. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, 23 (2), 549-555.
- Richards N., Harris K., Whitfield M., O'Donoghue D., Lewis R., Mansell M., Thomas S, Townend J, Eames M. and Marcelli D. (2008). The impact of population-based identification of chronic kidney disease using estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) reporting. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, 23 (2), 556-561.
- Richards N, Harris K, Whitfield MD et al, Primary care-based disease management of chronic kidney disease (CKD), based on estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) reporting, improves patient outcomes. Nephrol Dial Transplant (2008) 23: 549 - 555
- Whitfield M, Gillett M, Holmes M, Ogden E, Predicting the impact of population level risk reduction in cardio-vascular disease and stroke on acute hospital admission rates over a 5 year period—a pilot study. Public Health 2006 120 1140-1148
- Walters SJ, Whitfield M, Akehurst R.L, Chilcott J.B. Economic Implications of the Use of basiliximab versus placebo in addition to triple immunosuppressive therapy for the prevention of acute cellular rejection in renal allograft recipients – a United Kingdom perspective. Pharmacoeconomics. 2003; 21(2): 129-38.
- Otok R, Whitfield M. Partners two. (Ogolnopolski Przeglad Medyczny). J Polish Medical Review (OPM). 2003: June; 37.
- Otok R, Whitfield M. A First Class Service. (Ogolnopolski Przeglad Medyczny) J Polish Medical Review (OPM). 2003: May: 39
- Otok R, Whitfield M, Quo vadis NHS? J Polish Medical Review (OPM) Ogolnopolski Przeglad Medyczny, pp: 63 April 2003
- Otok R, Whitfield M. Partnership in healthcare (Ogolnopolski Przeglad Medyczny). J Polish Medical Review (OPM). 2003: March; 39:41.
- Kautsch M, Whitfield M, Wieckiewicz M. Pilot analysis of hospital cost and activity in the UK and Poland. Zdrowie i Zarządzanie. 2003 (1); 67-70.
- Whitfield M, Smith A. Changing definitions of Public Health in the UK-their implications on public health education in practice. Zdrowie Publ (Public Health). 2002: 112(2); 156-61
- Smith A, Giles M, Whitfield M, Hind D. Defining generic public health skills - The context and the literature. Zdrowie Publ (Public Health). 2002: 112(2); 156-161
- Kautsch M, Whitfield M. Effectiveness in Health Care. J Polish Medical Review (OPM) Ogolnopolski Przeglad Medyczny. 2002: pp: August; 40-1.
- Whitfield M, Kozierkiewicz A, Kautsch M, Esmonde L. Elective surgery: a closer look at costs in 10 European Countries. Hospital Healthcare Europe, The Official HOPE Reference Book. (2002/2003) Campden Publishing London.
- Whitfield M, Kozierkiewicz A, (2002/2003) Elective Surgery – defining costs in the emerging European market. Private Hospital Healthcare Europe, The Official HOPE Reference Book. (2002/2003) Campden Publishing London. Whitfield M, Kautsch M, Hind D. Hospital cost and activity data: towards a hospital information database, Hospital Healthcare Europe, The Official HOPE Reference Book. (2001/2002): Campden Publishing London.
- Kaltenhaler E, Whitfield M. UK, USA and Canada: how do their pressure ulcer prevalence and incidence data compare?. The Journal of Wound Care. 2001: 10: (1); 530 – 5.
- Walters S.J, Whitfield M, Akehurst R.L, Chilcott J.B. Pharmacoeconomic evaluation of Simulect prophylaxis in renal transplant recipients. Transplantation Proceedings. 2001: 33 (7-8); 3187 - 91.
- Kautsch M, Whitfield M. British experience: Is the market harmful to health? (Doswiadczenia Brytyjczykow: Rynek szkodzi zdrowiu?) Sluzba Zdrowia. 2001: 26 Apr. - 7 May; 32-5. http://shura.shu.ac.uk/5179/
- Kautsch M, Whitfield M. How much do the medical services cost? (Ile kosztuja swiadczenia medyczne?) Służba Zdrowia. 2001: 21-28 Jun; 48-50 http://shura.shu.ac.uk/5180/
- Whitfield M, Deja R. A threat to the quality of health care: Burn-out syndrome (Zagrozenie dla jakosci opieki zdrowotnej: Zespol wypalenia) Sluzba Zdrowia. 2001: 15-19 Nov; 88-89. http://shura.shu.ac.uk/5182/
- Whitfield M, Kaltenhaler E. How effective are prevention strategies in reducing the prevalence of pressure ulcers? The Journal of Wound Care. 2000: 9: (6); 261 – 6.
- McCabe C, Akehurst R, Kirsch J, Whitfield M. Choice of NSAID and management strategy in rheumatoid arthritis and osteo-arthritis – The impact on costs and outcomes in the UK. Pharmacoeconomics. 1998; 14 (2): 191 – 9.
- Bowns I, Whitfield M. Health Data Marker Research Project. Health Care Computing. 1998; (2): 333 – 44.
- Whitfield MD, Ara R, A Review of the Business Model for Future Emergency Department: Emergency Room, Unplanned Care Centre and Integrated Call Centre Services in Doncaster, ScHARR Report 2008.
- Whitfield MD, A cost and clinical effectiveness evaluation of a “Disease Management Programme” for Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) ScHARR Report Series 17, University of Sheffield. ISBN 1 900 752 611, 2007
- Whitfield MD, The economic case for Public Health Investment - A cost offset study for the “Fit for the Future” programme, Barnsley PCT, South Yorkshire, 2006
- Whitfield MD, Gerrish K. A review of Community Nursing in Doncaster West PCT (The modernisation agenda, current position, resource allocation and community involvement) 2001: ScHARR Report Series 3, University of Sheffield ISBN 1 900 752 30 1
- Whitfield MD, Edwards B. A review of the strategy for the development of services for older people. North Staffordshire. 2000: Report to the Minister of Health, DoH Publication.
- Whitfield MD, Kozierkiewicz A, Esmonde L. Comparing the cost of elective procedures in thirteen European countries. 2000: ScHARR Report Series 1, University of Sheffield. ISBN 1 900 752 20 4