PGCEs and School Direct
As the largest provider of teacher education in Yorkshire and Humberside with an excellent reputation, we're pleased to be delivering School Direct for September 2013/14 with the following high quality partnerships and schools in South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Lancashire and Lincolnshire.
The schools often host their own recruitment events where you can find out more about their opportunities. Click on the links below for more information.
- Archbishop Holgate's School, York
- Aston Academy, Sheffield
- Barnsley School Direct Alliance, Barnsley
- Conisbrough Ivanhoe Primary Academy, Doncaster
- Dixons City Academy, Bradford
- Greengate Lane Academy, Sheffield
- Wickersley - Learners First, Rotherham
- Lincoln Christ's Hospital, Lincoln
- Outwood Teaching School Alliance, Wakefield
- Penistone Grammar School
- Penistone St John's VA Primary School, Sheffield
- School Partnership Trust Academies, Doncaster
- Shafton Primary Academy, Barnsley
- Sheffield South East Learning Partnership, Sheffield
- Sheffield Teaching School Alliance, Sheffield
- St Mary's High School, Chesterfield
- Tapton, Sheffield
What is School Direct?
The School Direct Programme is for high-quality graduates who want to be part of a school team from day one. You may be eligible for a bursary of up to £20,000 to support you while you train depending on your degree classification and the course you're applying for. Visit the Teaching Agency for more details.
School Direct allows you to apply to train for a PGCE and QTS in a particular school or cluster of schools. All the training will be supported by the University regardless of the school you choose.
We also have other PGCE and QTS places you can apply directly to. You still complete school-based learning, but these schools are selected for you by the University, which could be any of the 400 schools in our excellent placement network.
With School Direct, the school or cluster of schools that you've applied to will be much more involved in your selection and recruitment as there is the expectation that you will be employed by them once qualified.
Some of our partner schools also offer School Direct (salaried) places. This is an employment-based route for high-quality experienced graduates with at least three years’ work experience. You will earn a salary while you train.
As with all other ITE programmes, School Direct leads to QTS and the award of a PGCE.
What does the School Direct training involve?
As part of the training you
- are supported by outstanding teachers, have a school-based mentor and an academic tutor from the University who will be an expert specialist in the field. They will all be dedicated to your development as a high-quality reflective practitioner.
- gain a PGCE which includes qualified teacher status and can be used as the first third of a masters degree if you wish to continue with this accredited professional development in the early part of your career
- benefit from high-quality sessions with other PGCE students at the University where research-informed practice and theoretical underpinning of classroom practice will be shared and critiqued
- are on a new route but one which is carefully co-planned between the schools involved and the University and builds upon excellent practice already established in the partnership
Sheffield Hallam University is not responsible for the content of external websites