Improve your English language skills
Settling into life in the UK can be challenging when English is not your first language. So we offer a range of classes and support to help you improve your English – preparing you for degree-level study and for general purposes.
Every year, about 1,000 students from all over the world improve their English language skills with us.
As a student here you benefit from
- courses that are inspected and accredited by the British Council
- qualified teachers with experience of teaching in the UK and overseas
- modern classrooms and well-equipped computer suites
- advanced audio-visual equipment and learning resources
- a friendly learning environment
- weekly one-to-one tutorials with a dedicated teacher
- an optional programme of social activities and visits
Sheffield Hallam pre-sessional courses
Our pre-sessional courses begin either five or ten weeks before the start of your degree, depending on your English language level. The courses offer about five hours of teaching per day.
We provide a stimulating and enjoyable atmosphere with a maximum of 16 per class. Our teachers encourage you to actively participate so you can improve your English as quickly as possible.
We prepare you for your course by introducing you to academic study at a UK university. You attend lectures by our academic staff and we support you with note-taking and essay writing. We try to get you thinking critically about your subject area and we run group work sessions to prepare you for seminars and presentations. We also introduce you to the University learning centres and online learning resources.
Throughout the course, you're assessed on your listening and speaking skills as well as essay writing and a subject-specific presentation or project.
- Long English for Academic Purposes (LEAP)
You should attend this course if you have a minimum of IELTS 4.0 or equivalent in all skills and you want to achieve IELTS 5.0 or above.
- Pre-sessional English for Academic Purposes (PEAP)
You should attend this course if you already have a minimum of IELTS 5.0 or equivalent and you need to improve your language level to start your degree.
Sheffield Hallam University is not responsible for the content of external websites.