We engage with businesses in a wide variety of ways. It is a crucial element of our activities.
The business links we continue to develop inform and enhance the learning experience of our students. It also increases their employability, as they reflect on current issues in the finance, accounting and business systems sectors during their course.
- Due to our reputation for giving students good technical knowledge and preparing them for work, a large number of organisations approach us to initiate placement and internship programmes for our students.
- We have developed a good relationship with companies such as Barclays, Caerus Wealth and DB Shenker who have committed to take a number of our students for short-term summer internships. They revolve around specialist projects and rotation posts, giving our students really good exposure to industry.
- We have a strong placement offering, with companies such as Redmayne Bentley, Rolls Royce, Hewlett Packard and BOC Linde regularly taking our students on placement. Many of these students gain graduate positions as a result.
- A large number of our modules offer prizes sponsored by organisations, giving students prestige and additional benefits. Most of our sponsors provide guest lectures, with some organisations giving prize winners mentoring opportunities and the opportunity to visit.
- Several of the prize sponsors regularly employ winners on graduate schemes, demonstrating the value they place on our students. For example, two past prize winners have secured graduate jobs at Investec Wealth and Investment.
- Our undergraduate finance programme has joined up with external recruitment consultants to establish a number of sessions to develop student's employability skills. These sessions include interview skills, help with improving their CVs, assisting them with job hunting and enhancing their overall employability.
- A large number of guest speakers from companies such as from PWC have helped out in various sessions adding a further industry perspective.
- These relationships have already wielded a number of results with graduates of the programme enhancing their CVs and making crucial business links.
Bespoke business courses
- Over the last few years we have run the Post Office Leadership Development Programme, a bespoke training programme created here in SBS. The programme has been developed in the Business, Operations and Systems (BOS) subject group in collaboration with Business Advantage (BA), with the BOS team, led by Lucian Tipi, working very closely with the BA team and particularly with Sarah Fidment to put together this bespoke programme. The original contact with the Post Office came via Damion Taylor and was then passed on to the BOS subject group - a standout demonstration of how SBS staff can utilise their business contacts. The training is focused on specialized areas such as information systems governance, data and knowledge management and information systems process improvement.
- Senior Post Office Information Systems (IS) manager Kevin Lenihan was instrumental in the development of the programme, and he viewed it as so important that he himself has decided to enrol, so he can go through the same learning and transformational process as the rest of his team.
- The programme saw a number of Post Office delegates benefit from this innovative product and it is hoped that further delegates and corporate partners will enrol on future deliveries. The Post Office has expressed an interest in a long-term relationship with SBS and work has already started on organizing a number of business forums as well as publicising the work currently done with the IS arm of the Post Office across the whole of their business in the UK and Europe.
External consultancy and research
- We undertake a wide range of external consultancy work and continue to use the expertise of our staff to explore additional ways of engaging with business.
- We are engaged in corporate collaboration in undertaking global finance surveys and direct consultancy with a range of local, national and international organisations.
- Our academics have obtained or are currently engaged in doctoral studies in areas such as corporate funding, accounting, financial literacy and organisational maturity.
- Others have published internationally recognised academic text books, sit on professional body education boards, are examiners for accounting, banking and treasury professional bodies and are involved in other international consultancy and development work.
Hosting business seminars
- We regularly host business seminars and provide a range of guest speakers and attendees. Examples include the P&A Group's euro crisis seminar and the Data Business Forum chaired by the Post Office.
Courses for businesses
- We run courses for organisations such as the Post Office and SIG that are specifically tailored to meet the needs of their business.
- We also offer professional accounting courses, which primarily see students sponsored by their employer to study them.
- In order to ensure our courses meet the needs of both employers and professional bodies we continually seek advice from a wide range of our contacts including such companies as HSBC.
- We regularly obtain feedback from our external contacts to embed current industry developments and issues into our teaching and research, and new and revised courses are being developed continuously to respond to market demands.
Teaching with a business focus
- Throughout our courses we continually emphasise the importance we place on business engagement. This can be seen through the wide range of guest lectures we have from companies such as KPMG.
- There are many business-focused extras in the degrees, such as Sage 50 accreditation, advanced Excel training and professional body certification and exemptions from professional exams.
- It is this focus on employability that ensures our students are ready to hit the ground running upon graduation.
Finance careers event
- Our annual finance and business careers event is held for employers to meet our students. Many companies attend to both advertise current placement and graduate jobs as well as to tell students what it is like to work in the industry and the options available to them upon graduation.
- A wide variety of companies attend, including Aviva, Grant Thornton, Vauxhall and Deloitte.