Working collaboratively to develop a descriptive pedagogy of grammar
This research involved the SIoE Primary English team working with teachers as co-researchers, and with pupils as participants, in order to identify ways in which descriptive approaches to grammar teaching could be successfully integrated into the primary English curriculum. The study drew on the principles of a lesson study, defining what we termed research lessons. Shared understandings of the complexities and challenges of grammar teaching were generated and the project illustrated how the collaborative pursuit of pedagogical strategies, guided by the principles of a descriptive approach to grammar teaching, promoted understandings of grammar pedagogy that were mutually empowering to adults and children.
Findings have been integrated into Sheffield Institute of Education undergraduate and postgraduate ITE courses.
- Grammar in the Primary Curriculum: a renewed emphasis on terminology. Primary Matters. NATE (National Association for the Teaching of English). Spring 2017.
- Daniels, K., Gray, L., Helks, M., Monkhouse, J. and Myers, J. (under review) Working collaboratively to develop a descriptive pedagogy of grammar.
The study has been presented at the following events:
- UKLA 52nd International Conference Bristol, July 2016. Literacy, Equality and Diversity: Bringing voices together. 50 Years of literacy Continuity & Change. Working Collaboratively to Develop a Descriptive Pedagogy of Grammar.
- SIoE Research Engaged Practice Network Meeting. February 2017. Researching Practice through Lesson Study.
- Social Sciences and Humanities Conference. SIoE. June 2017.Working Collaboratively to Develop a Descriptive Pedagogy of Grammar.
United Kingdom Literacy Association