Alumni return to Sheffield Hallam to mentor our real estate students
'We have great links with our former students, keeping in touch via Linked In and good old fashioned face to face networking' says Tony Cheetham, principal lecturer, and second year tutor on the Sheffield Hallam's BSc (Hons) Real Estate course, adding 'and we make active use of those links, inviting our graduates back to tell us about their careers achievements since graduation, and to showcase the organisations and areas of the profession that they work in via a regular guest lecture programme.'
'A good example of this is the ‘Class of 93’ event that we held last year, when we had a panel of five former students who’d graduated from our real estate programme back in 1993, they came to spend an afternoon outlining their professional journeys and mentoring our current students. Our panel comprised
- Andrew Aspinall – strategic land surveyor, The Co-operative Group Ltd
- James Durie – executive director of Bristol Chamber of Commerce
- Kirsten Durie – development surveyor, Network Rail
- Ashley Heath – healthcare director of MediX (a leading multi-fund investor in and developer of UK healthcare property
- Michael Old – managing director, Europe Real Estate, Jefferies International Limited (a US investment bank)
'It was amazing to see where a Sheffield Hallam degree in real estate had taken these senior professionals, both in the diversity of their career paths and the heights of their achievement. We also heard them reminisce about their student days, showing how being a student hasn’t changed entirely across the two decades, with their still familiar tales of balancing fun and the demands of assignment deadlines.'