An integral part of the University of the Year for Teaching Quality
Sheffield Hallam is the University of the Year for Teaching Quality. SBS has been integral to this award. We embed real work experience into every year of every course and ensure that our students get the real-world skills they need to excel in business.
Here are five ways we're making an impact.
1. We equip our students for the real world of work
Our real-world focus provides what employers are looking for. Within one year of graduation, 95% of students in business-related courses are employed or in full-time study. 70% of them are in Highly Skilled Employment.
2. We support businesses through placements and consultancy
Our students can offer a fresh perspective for your business, with less impact on your budget. In the last year alone, we've delivered almost 2,500 placement and consultancy projects.
3. We build stronger workforces with degree apprenticeships
Our National Centre of Excellence for Degree Apprenticeships can help you grow and train your workforce. We work with companies from start-ups to multinationals, helping them to develop their people. We’ve enrolled 420 degree apprentices in the last year.
4. We power industry innovation
We conduct research that could transform your business. We have academic experts in 12 industry-focused subject areas, from food consumption to behavioural economics. For example, SBS research is helping a number of leading retail and logistics businesses to improve the efficiency of their processes for consumers — lowering costs and minimising environmental impact.
5. We think globally
Work with us and you’ll benefit from our global knowledge and connections. We have 1661 international students, and staff from 39 countries. We work with global partners and offer placements all over the world.
SBS in numbers
Almost 6,400 students from the UK and overseas
- UK / EU students = 4700
- International students = 1600
- Partner based students = 1030
- Undergraduate students = 5400
- Postgraduate taught students = 900
- Research students = 70
- Finance, Accounting & Business Systems
- Service Sector Management
12 subject groups
- Financial Accounting & Management Accounting
- Finance, Banking & Economics
- Business Operations & Systems
- International Business
- Organisational Behaviour & Human Resource Management
- Strategic Management
- Languages and Cultures
- Events Management
- Food & Nutrition
95% employment rates within one year of graduation
- Employment = 95% in Business-related studies are employed or in full time studies 1 year after graduation
- Highly Skilled Employment or Further Study = 70%
Over 1,500 students in real-world consultancy projects
- 10 academic student societies
- 1570 students in consultancy projects
- 500 on paid placements (18/19)
- 360 companies employing for placements 18/19
- 65 executives and entrepreneurs in residence
- 420 degree apprentices
What our clients say about...
“This is going to future-proof our industry.”
Andrew Johnston — Development Chef, ASDA.
“There’s such a wide range of skills coming from Sheffield Hallam students. It’s new ideas that are pushing businesses forward.”
Maria Stoneman — Head of Operations and HR, Sheffield Doc/Fest
“When they’re here, they embed into teams straight away, they get inducted into the day-to-day working. They’re actually treated as employees throughout the year. They’re seen as a fundamental element of our extended team.”
Laura Stenhouse — R&D Director and student intern sponsor, Pepsico International
“Apprenticeships give a great balance between academic learning and on-the-job training. People learn the realities of the job from day one, and the organisation gets the benefit of their developing competence.”
Karen Dickenson — Sheffield Health and Social Care NHS Trust
“I’d say that 90% of our staff here have been to one of the universities in Sheffield. So Sheffield is a great place to hire graduates with the right skills.”
David Richards — CEO, WANdisco