Why choose us for your research?
If you want to become an expert in your business and management field, choose a postgraduate research degree at Sheffield Business School. Studying for a research degree at the UK’s largest modern business school allows you to make a real impact in your area of study.
In the 2013 national Postgraduate Research Experience Survey, we achieved an overall 92% satisfaction rating. We’re a member of the ESRC-initiated Northern Advanced Research Training Initiative (NARTI), alongside 16 business schools in the north of England.
Our research programmes will help you to develop into a self-reliant, effective and confident researcher. You’ll join an active research community and benefit from supervision by one of our leading experts in the field of business education.
Current students are pursuing an exciting range of research in service sector management, business and management, finance, accounting and business systems. Take a look at the topics covered by our recently completed research degrees.
Your research community
When you join Sheffield Business School as a doctorate student, you’re joining a vibrant research community of researchers. Our doctoral school provides you with high-quality doctoral training to support and develop your study skills. We also offer you a range of researcher development and community-building events aimed at supporting and developing your doctoral research skills in business-related disciplines, including:
- • annual doctoral residential weekend
- • annual doctoral conference
- • weekly research support and development sessions, covering business and management-related academic and professional doctoral skills training
- • opportunities to take part in a range of external business and management training activities:
- o NARTI advanced research methods training workshops
- o ERASMUS-funded Universitat de Girona-Sheffield Hallam University Tourism PhD colloquia
- o Eurasian Doctoral Summer Academy for doctoral researchers in social sciences