Why choose us for your research?
A Doctorate at SBS gives you a brilliant opportunity to develop your research skills and knowledge. You’ll be able to create a real impact either in academia, the public or private sector, or as an entrepreneur.
Fresh thinking at SBS
We have extensive expertise in creating new knowledge and applying business research to solve real world problems.
If you enrol at SBS for your research, you will
- be part of a vibrant, active community of academics who are driven by the discovery of new knowledgeand be supervised by one of our leading experts.
- join current students who are pursuing an exciting range of research in hospitality, tourism, events, food and nutrition, international business, marketing, human resources, strategic management, languages, business, operations and systems, financial accounting, management accounting, finance and banking.
- work alongside a diverse community of doctoral researchers from across the globe who bring a wealth of international experience.
- benefit from high-quality research training and support. We have a reputation for excellence in this area, and are a member of the ESRC-initiated Northern Advanced Research Training Initiative (NARTI), alongside 16 business schools in the north of England.
- be provided with an outstanding student experience in a collegiate environment. SBS are committed to providing this learning experience.
How it works
You will enhance and grow your research skills with advanced research training and opportunities to engage in events, conferences, writing retreats and continuous professional development.
There will be opportunities to develop a range of transferable skills which are applicable to many employment sectors.You will work with a supervisory team which will include a Director of Studies and one or more supervisors with expertise and interest in your research area.
Your supervisors will help you to define your research programme, agree any associated training requirements, and provide direction while encouraging you to develop as an independent researcher.
You will be part of our doctoral community in one of 3 academic departments: Management, Finance, Accounting and Business Systems and Service Sector Management.
We encourage you to participate in external events to develop your network and be exposed to a wide range of different research disciplines and methodologies. There will be opportunities to showcase your own research and receive constructive feedback and publish your work.