I have been teaching in higher education since 1990. During this time, I have taught Sociology, Politics, Social Policy, History and Journalism. I joined Sheffield Hallam University in 2000 and I am located in the Sociology team.
I currently teach
Media, Representation and Society (first year)
Culture, Media and Consumption (third year)
Crime and the Media (third year)
Dissertations (undergraduate and postgraduate)
I have written articles on the politics of education, politics and the media and on welfare theory. I have also written books on social and political theory, health policy, social policy and on the media.
Some of my book publications are:
- Taylor, Gary, Mellor, Liam and McCarter, Richard (2016) Work-Related Learning and the Social Sciences, Routledge: Oxon.
- Taylor, Gary and Hawley, Helen (2010) Key debates in health care, Open University Press: Buckinghamshire.
- McManus, Mike and Taylor, Gary (eds) (2009) Active Learning and Active Citizenship: Theoretical Frameworks, The Higher Education Academy: Birmingham.
- Taylor, Gary (2007), Ideology and Welfare, Palgrave: Basingstoke.
- Taylor, Gary and Spencer, Steve (eds) (2004), Social Identities, Routledge: London.
- Todd, Malcolm and Taylor, Gary (eds) (2004), Democracy and Participation, Merlin Press: London.
I am currently working on a series of projects on the social and political content of film.
Taylor, G., & Hawley, H. (2006). Health promotion and the freedom of the individual. Health Care Analysis, 14 (1), 15-24. http://doi.org/10.1007/s10728-006-0012-x
Taylor, G., & Hawley, H. (2004). The construction of arguments over the rationing of health care: Perspectives from the british broadsheets. Social Policy Journal, 3 (3), 45-61. http://doi.org/10.1300/J185v03n03_04
I am actively involved in funded project work on citizenship and employability. Projects funded through HEFCE include
Active Learning and Active Citizenship (Associate director, 2005-2008)
CETL in Employability (Associate director 2008-2010)
I have also led on a number of projects for the Higher Education Academy and its subject centres
Work Based Learning and the Community (SWAP, 2005)
Social and moral responsibilities and the environment (CSAP, 2008)
Project Management and the Social Sciences (HEA, 2011)