John worked for over 15 years as a Principal Officer for a larger local authority managing their arts, entertainment and cultural provision. This entailed responsibility for venue/facility management and the organisation of outdoor concerts and festivals. Interest in arts management led to John undertaking a part time Master's Degree with a research topic focusing on art and elitism. Completing this degree led to John changing careers and he has worked at Sheffield Hallam University since 2004. John is currently a Principal Lecturer and the Undergraduate Programme Leader for Sheffield, Business School managing fourteen degree courses in the UK and Hong Kong. John has a wide experience in lecturing across mainland China and also contributes to international programmes in Switzerland, France and Singapore. John has also acted as an external examiner at several institutions such as University of Wales, Bournemouth University and is currently an external examiner at Sunderland University. John has also completed his Doctorate with a thesis on the transitions of industry professionals to higher education.
- 2012: EdD Transition to Academia, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- 2005: Post Graduate Certificate in Education, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- 1996: Professional Qualification, National Examination Board in Occupational Safety, United Kingdom
- 1992: Masters Degree, University of Sheffield
- 1989: ILAM (Cert) in Leisure Management, North Cheshire College, United Kingdom
UG External Examiner
- 2014: External Examiner, University of Sunderland
Sheffield Business School
Perry, J. (2015). Event Management Research: A Consensus of Experience. In The Festival and Event Experience. (1st). (pp. 71-94).
Perry, J. (2016). Transitions to Academia.
Egan, D., Tattersall, J., & Perry, J. (2012). Teaching Employability: Reflection and Change.
Perry, J. (2011). Events Management. Bladen, Kennell, Abson and Wilde: Book Review. Abingdon: Routledge
Perry, J. (2010). Event Studies, theory, research and policy for planned events. Getz: Book Review. London: Pearson Education
- 2004: Undergraduate Programme Leader (Events, Food, Hospitality and Tourism Management) including international provision., Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom