I am a Sheffield Hallam University graduate, I joined the team at Sheffield Hallam University with more than 15 years' experience of teaching tourism in a number of colleges and universities. I have also worked in the industry in both tourism marketing and hotel management.
I am the course cluster leader for undergraduate tourism provision at the University. I am strongly involved in course development and provide academic and pastoral support to undergraduate tourism students. I teach on several different modules at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. I am also involved in a number of research and consultancy projects. I am a specialist in tourist behaviour and recently carried out research on sustainable tourism in Sri Lanka.
I liaise and work with the main tourism bodies such as the Tourism Management Institute and the Institute of Travel and Tourism to ensure that the courses at Sheffield Hallam are fully accredited and give students the qualifications that best suit the needs of industry.
- tourism as a business
- supply systems and relationships
- destination management and marketing
- consumer behaviour
- tourism in Europe
- sector industry analysis
- tourism student engagement and employability
- tourism consumer behaviour
- undergraduate and postgraduate dissertations
- 2014: Senior Fellow - Higher Education Academy, Other, United Kingdom
- 1998: BSc Sociology, Other, United Kingdom
- 1991: MSc Tourism, Hospitality and Food Management, Other, United Kingdom
Membership of external committee
- 2016: Member of Sheffield Hallam University Learning and Teaching Conference Scientific Committee, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- 2015: Member of Association for Tourism and Leisure Scientific Committee, Association for Tourism and Leisure
- 2010: Member of Association of Tourism in Higher Education (ATHE) Scientific Committee, Association of Tourism in Higher Education (ATHE), United Kingdom
PG External Examiner
- 2004: External Examiner PG Programme, Canterbury Christ Church University, United Kingdom
UG External Examiner
- 2015: External Examiner UG Programme, University of Plymouth, United Kingdom
- 2011: External Examiner UG Programme, London South Bank University, United Kingdom
- Association of Tourism in Higher Education
- Tourism Management Institute
- The Tourism Society
- Institute of Travel and Tourism
Sheffield Business School
1995 to present: BSc Tourism Management, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
1995 to present: BSc Tourism and Hospitality Management, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
1995 to present: BA Business Studies, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
1995 to present: MSc International Tourism and Hospitality Management, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
Soulby, K. (2015). Putting students in the hot seat: Using a viva as an assessment tool.
Soulby, K. (2015). Female experiences of Family camping holidays.
Soulby, K. (2014). Happy Campers?: Female experiences of family camping holidays and the contribution to wellbeing.
Soulby, K. (2014). Incorporating technology for innovative assessment.
Soulby, K. (2013). Let's have a party- The importance of celebrating student success.
Soulby, K. (2013). The regional studies association.
Soulby, K. (2012). Using rural spaces: Developing a typology of the motivations, meanings, and behaviour of leisure campers.
Soulby, K. (2009). Supporting Direct Entrants to Succeed.
- 2015: Elected Chair of Association for Tourism in Higher Education, Association of Tourism in Higher Education (ATHE), United Kingdom