Neil is a senior academic with extensive leadership and management experience in professional bodies, academic institutions and awarding bodies.
As the Head of International and Head of UK College Partnerships he is required to ensure the successful strategic development, operations management and sustainability of the faculty's international recruitment, TNE provision and educational partnerships.
He has chaired technical groups for the UK government and accreditation panels across the world and carried out consultancy services for awarding bodies, councils, professional bodies, as well as public and private companies.
He has delivered CPD and guest lectures across the UK as well as in Singapore, Sri Lanka, UAE, Qatar, Oman and Malaysia.
Neil is a member of the following key Sheffield Hallam operational and executive groups
- International Recruitment Group
- TNE Strategy Group
- TNE Operations Group
- International Qualifications Group
- UK Partners Steering Group
He is also currently chair of the University's Hong Kong Strategy Task and Finish Group.In addition to these strategic and operational groups he is also a member of the following university wide groups
- Deputy Chair of the Quality Collaborative Committee
- Work Based Learning Approval Panel
- University Validation Approval Panel
- Head of the Department of Construction and Surveying - responsible for budgets and the deployment of resources and line management for the 25 FT staff and numerous Associate Lecturer contracts.
- Head of International for Natural and Built Environment - responsible for initiating and developing partnerships across the world.
Specialist areas of interest
Neil's areas of interest are sustainability, energy and carbon assessment of buildings, building surveying, internationalisation and project management.
He has delivered CPD and guest lectures in England, Scotland and N. Ireland (UK) as well as Singapore, Colombo (Sri Lanka), Dubai (UAE), Doha, (Qatar), Muscat (Oman) and Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia).
Health And Wellbeing
In addition to the above Neil has carried out many other roles, including
- Teaching Fellow
- Programme Leader
- Course Leader
- Module Tutor
- Dissertation tutor
- Personal Tutor
- Learning, Teaching and Assessment Co-ordinator
- Member of Faculty Learning, Teaching and Assessment Committee
- Member of Faculty Quality Committee
- Member of Yorkshire and Humberside Construction Careers Group (CITB subsidiary)
- Member of Quality Sub Committee
- Member of Equal Opportunities Committee
Over 23 years Neil has taught a variety of subjects including Energy and Carbon Assessment of Buildings: Sustainable Technology, Building Services and Environmental Issues, Energy Efficiency, Home Inspector Technical Training, Building Studies, Building Technology, Building Pathology and Surveys, Design Project, Appraisal and Management of Buildings and many others.
Hanney, N., & Karagic, H. (2019). Responding to the NHS and social care workforce crisis: the enhancement of opportunities through collaborative partnerships. Higher Education, Skills and Work-based Learning. http://doi.org/10.1108/HESWBL-10-2018-0107
- External Examiner - at Coventry University and Nottingham Trent University
- Consultant and Chair for National Association of Estate Agents - Neil designed and wrote the first UK level 4 qualifications for the energy assessment of non-domestic buildings
- Chair of Department of Communities and Local Government's SBEM Conventions Group - responsible for leading and managing representatives from professional bodies, approved software companies and the Government's approved consultant (Building Research Establishment), to agree and approve both technical guidance as well as conventions
- Chair of Chartered Institute of Building Accreditation Panels and Vice Chair of the Accreditation Committee - chaired and panel member of many CIOB accreditation panels across the world
- Consultant to the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors - designed and operationalised a bespoke training course for 400 chartered surveyors
- Director of CADE Consultants - set up and successfully managed two private companies. As director he led and managed the delivery of bespoke training and consultancy projects for a number of clients including councils, HEIs and private companies