On personal philosophy:
Docendo discimus, (Latin "by teaching, we learn").
Seneca the Younger (c 4 BC – 65 AD) back
To attempt to change understanding in the most interesting ways possible.
On inspirational teaching:
A lecturer once demonstrated to us Newton's Third Law of Motion ("every action has an equal and opposite reaction") by entering the lecture theatre prostrate on a trolley firing off a CO2 fire extinguisher. How can I ever forget that deep learning experience?
I remember well another inspirational teacher; he once said to me:
"Baker, if you pass your ‘A’ level Chemistry, little pink pigs might fly…."
- 2015: Post Graduate Certificate in Education, Learning and Teaching, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- 2012: Doctorate of Education, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- 2005: Microsoft Certified Professional, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- 2000: MSc Operations Research for Management, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- 1997: BSc Computing Science, Astronomy and Mathematics, The Open University
- Post Graduate Certificate, Learning and Teaching Post 16
Member of professional body
- 2014: Member of The Royal Institution of Great Britain, The Royal Institution, United Kingdom
UG External Examiner
- 2016 to 2019: , University of Wales Trinity St. David, United Kingdom
- The deployment of theatrical devices in teaching.
Department of Finance, Accounting and Business Systems
Sheffield Business School
Business Information Systems
Journal article: Baker, R. Taylor, C. Downs, Y. Chikwa, G. (2011), ''I did it my way': voice, visuality and identity in doctoral students' reflexive video narratives on their doctoral research journeys', International Journal of Research and Method in Education, vol 34, no 2, pp. 193-210
Conference Paper: Baker, R. Osbourne, C. (2011), 'What went right? Reflections on a successful collaborative partnership'. Paper presented at Conference
Conference Speaker: Baker, R. (2013), 'Knowledge and Knowing: a Celebration Discourse', in Discourse to college Graduands, Conference
Other: Baker, R. (2015), 'The Ed.D Journey: A first class ticket: stations'
Other: Baker, R. (2015), 'Homo Artificivm: evolution of the species? Exploring the composition'
Other: Baker, R. (2013), 'Contexts of cultural capital in collaborative practice in Further Education'
Research funding or grant
- 2016: Dialogic Teaching: an experiment in Business Studies teaching, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- 2014: SBS Pedagogic Innovation Fund, Sheffield Business School, United Kingdom