Having worked in my parents’ hotel and restaurant regularly and being an intern in an international hotel chain as well as in a destination management organisation, it was clear for me that I want to pursue a career in tourism. To gain academic knowledge in addition to my practical experience, I studied “Tourism Management B.A.” at the University of Applied Sciences in Wilhelmshaven and, thereupon, “MSc International Tourism Management” at Sheffield Hallam University. Since completing my studies, I worked for the TUI Group - the world’s leading integrated tourism group. Starting my professional career as a “management trainee”, I had the chance to get to know different departments (Finance, Product Development & Management, Sustainability & Project Management). Thereupon, I worked as a “project manager” and “consultant business transformation” focussing on the area of sustainability.
Alongside working in the industry I have always been interested in the academic field of tourism. In 2015, I started as a “Graduate Tutor in Tourism” in Sheffield Hallam University, where I teach ‘Tourism, Development and Society’ (Level 5) and ‘Tourism, Planning and Development’ (Level 7). Both modules are aligned with my research interests. My PhD research focusses on “Tourism, Poverty & Inequality”.
- 2015 to 2018: PhD, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- 2017: Post Graduate Certificate in Research Methods, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- 2010: MSc International Tourism Management, Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- 2009: Bachelor of Arts, Tourism Management, Fachhochschule Wilhelmshaven, Germany
Developing CPD activities or exec ed programs
- 2017: , Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
Department of Service Sector Management
Sheffield Business School
Winter, T. (2017). What pro-poor value chain analysis tells us & what it doesn't tell us: a claim for more critical approaches.
HEA fellow or senior fellow
- 2017: Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, Higher Education Academy (HEA), United Kingdom