Mark has led our Facilities Directorate since 2010, with responsibility for commercial, residential and facilities management services, as well as academic timetabling. Under Mark's leadership, the department has gained Investors in People Gold standard and Customer First certification, as well as achieving ISO 14001 (Environmental Management) and ISO 50001 (Energy Management) for the whole University, a first in the HE sector.
Mark previously spent seven years in the hotel and leisure industry and also worked as part of the hospitality team at Keele University.
Mark is overseeing a major capital estates programme at Sheffield Hallam and is involved in the Sheffield City Region, chairing the Public Sector Property Forum and as a Director of the Business Improvement District for Sheffield city centre. He is actively interested in leadership development, coaching and mentoring, business excellence, organisational values and mindfulness.
Mark is an alumnus of the University, having gained his first degree at Sheffield City Polytechnic. He also holds an MSc in Hospitality from Hallam.
Roles on external bodies
- 2010-present: Member, Association of Universities Directors of Estates (AUDE)
- 2010-present: Vice President, Sheffield Hallam University Retired Staff Association
- 2010-present: Chair, Sheffield City Public Sector Property Forum
- 2010-present: Member, Sheffield City Region LEP property and construction sector group
- 2013-present: Director, Northern Universities Purchasing Consortium Ltd
- 2014-present: Member, British Property Federation Student Accommodation Committee
- 2014-present: Member, UCEA National Health and Safety Committee
- 2014-present: Trustee, Sheffield Town Trust
- 2015-present: Trustee, Voluntary Action Sheffield (VAS)
- 2015-present: Director, Sheffield Business Improvement District
Fellow of the Institute of Leadership and Management (since 2010)