Roger is Pro Vice-Chancellor for Global Engagement and Dean of the Faculty of Arts, Computing, Engineering and Sciences. He joined Sheffield Hallam in 2012, where he leads a broad range of disciplines within his Faculty. Prior to this, he spent three years as Dean of the School of Science and Technology at Nottingham Trent University. Other previous roles include at the Science and Technology Facilities Council, where he was Director of Technology from 2007-09, preceded by a first stint at Sheffield Hallam as Director of the Materials and Engineering Research Institute from 2004-07.
His research focus is on quantum magnetism using large-scale facilities, such as neutron sources.
Roger is an alumnus of Sheffield Hallam, having completed a BSc in applied science at Sheffield City Polytechnic; he also holds a PhD in physics from the University of Warwick.
Roles on external bodies
- 2012-15: Chairman, Institute of Physics (East Midlands branch)
- 2014-present: Guardian, Sheffield Assay Office
- 2014-present: Freeman of the Hallamshire Company of Cutlers
- 2015-present: Trustee, Landmarks Specialist College, Eckington
- 2015-present: Governor, Barnsley College
- 2015-present: Board member, STEM Learning Ltd.
- Fellow of the Institute of Physics (since 2007)
Roger’s publications include work on spin dynamics; he has contributed to over 80 journals and presented his work at international conferences.