Making the most of Open Days at SHU
Monday 10 December 2018
Open Days, Course Open Days and Selection Events are all ways to find out what a University is really like. You may have read about the University on a website and seen the sun-filled campus photos in the prospectus, but visiting is the best way to get a real feel for the University and the City.
Here at SHU we host Open Days throughout the year for those who want to study their first undergraduate degree, as well as those wanting to complete postgraduate study and degree apprenticeships. Our Open Days are packed full of opportunities to meet current students, ask the tutors about the course, explore the campus and view the facilities, such as lecture theatres, libraries and more.
Tips and Tricks
If you're interested in visiting a University, here are my top tips to make the most out of your day...
- Plan ahead - book yourself a place and begin to plan your day. Start with a welcome talk, join and campus tour led by a student ambassador and attend your course talk
- If you are hoping to live away whilst at University, make sure you check out the accommodation. At SHU Open Day's we have 8-10 different halls open with students showing their own flats and rooms. I's worth taking a bit of time to do some research into which halls you want to go and visit (which is closer to your campus, what is your budget, do you want a shared bathroom or en-suite?)
- Head down to the Student's Union to find out about other activities you can get involved with as a student. At SHU we have hundreds of volunteering opportunities and a multitude of societies and sports clubs. Its a great place to find out more before you enrol.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions - we have hundreds of student ambassadors across our campuses and accommodation to share their stories of living and studying here in Sheffield. They are the best people to give you answers and advice - and were in your position just a year or two ago!
- Most importantly, make sure to leave some time during the day to have a look around the area and City itself. This is somewhere you could commit to living for the next 3+ years. Could you see the City as your new home? In the City centre check out the Winter Gardens, Peace Gardens and have a wander up Division Street. If you are at our Collegiate Campus have a walk down Ecclesall Road (known locally as Eccy Rd) and don't forget to check out Sharrowvale Road too!
December Open Evening
If you haven't already had the chance to visit Sheffield Hallam and want to squeeze a visit in before the festive season really begins, we are hosting an Open Evening on Thursday 13th December from 5pm until 7:30pm. You can book your place online. We also have weekly student-led campus and accommodation tours which run every Wednesday so you can still see both campuses and examples of our halls. Make sure you make time to visit the University as you will definitely get the right feeling when you've been to see a few.
We hope to see you soon!