Welcome to Sheffield Hallam University's sustainability website, providing information and progress against our aim to be a leading sustainable university.
Sheffield Hallam recognises its responsibility to ensure sound, environmentally sustainable, operational practice in all its activities. Similarly, there is recognition of the need for teaching and research undertaken by the University to incorporate the concept of sustainable development.
The University is committed to embedding environmental concerns into all operations, decisions and actions. Documents, policies and plans demonstrating this commitment to our stakeholders, as well as progress reports, can be found here.
Awards and accolades
- the University has been externally accredited to ISO 14001 and ISO 50001 across the whole estate since 2011. It was also one of the first universities to successfully transition to ISO 14001:2015. These systems ensure progress against targets is achieved and environmental impacts of operations are managed and reduced
- awarded a 2.1 class award in the People and Planet University League 2017 ranking 35th out of 154 HEIs. This is scored according to environmental credentials and achievements
- we have been shortlisted as Green Gown Awards finalist in 2016 and 2017 and are a 2018 Green Gown Awards winner in the Campus Food and Drink Category for the Taste Hallam Brand and in the Sustainability Champion (Staff) category we have been highly commended.
- we have been a Fairtrade-certified organisation since 2007
- the Students' Union has received accreditation under the Green Impact scheme for five years
- the Granary catering outlet at Collegiate Campus has achieved a 3/3 StarsSustainable Restaurant Association Award
- Sheffield Business School is a UN-approved Principles for Responsible Business Management (PRME) faculty
- the university fleet has been awarded 4 out of 5 stars in the ECOstars Fleet Recognition Scheme
Sheffield Hallam University is not responsible for any external content