Partnerships and engagement
Sustainability is deeply embedded into Sheffield Hallam University, with key players in all departments and at all levels who work tirelessly to ensure we achieve continual improvement.
The sustainability team works collaboratively with partners both internal and external to the University to reduce environmental impacts and increase efficiency, in all operational areas. These include
- Management Review Groups made up of staff representatives from all areas and colleges within the University identified as having potentially significant environmental impacts, as well as student representation from the SU committee during the annual review process. These groups help to direct the ISO management systems through ongoing operational updates, coordination of internal and external audits. They are also key consultation groups for the development and oversight of the Environmental Policy and Environmental Plan which are built according to significant environmental impacts in their respective areas of the university, as identified by the members. The groups receive regular updates on progress, and have a process in place to escalate issues as they occur
- The Green Champion network consists of over 100 staff volunteers. They share good practice, spread relevant communications and messages and help to embed campaigns University wide. See latest news for information on our most recent campaigns
- The Students' Union and the sustainability team share each other's communications plans and undertake joint projects. The Union is also working on its own sustainability credentials and continues to participate in the Green Impact scheme as it has done for the past five years, a key achievement was being named ‘Green Impact Students Union of the Year’ in 2015.
- The student body input into decisions at all levels at the University up to the Board of Governors, who make both strategic and financial decisions. It is therefore important to engage with them on sustainability issues early in their university journey. This is achieved through working with accommodation services, to provide key information through the SHUStart module, this is available for all students to complete upon arrival and provides and introduction to the university, facilities, services and values. The sustainability team also takes part in welcome week campaigns and roadshows, and students are kept up to date throughout the year with latest campaigns through the Browzer online forum. There is also a student-led society 'Sustain' which work on projects including community engagement and food recycling
- The Colleges work with the sustainability team to deliver real world working examples of sustainability in practice through the colleges, these can range from guest lectures and tours to providing projects for students. The Sustainability Team work with the Venture Matrix team to provide real projects for students to deliver as part of their studies – see the Sustainable Travel page for a student created video. We also work directly with module leaders and tutors to provide masters level consultancy projects, which form part of a student's final degree, these have ranged from carbon projection tools to edible campus feasibilities. Sustainability is also being embedded into the curriculum by the colleges themselves; Sheffield Business School are leading by example through their work towards the PRME external accreditation for quality and excellence. They are using their experience to now provide training and development opportunities for wider academic staff to explore ESD (Education for Sustainable Development) opportunities. See latest news, or college pages, for the latest developments. Sustainability is also embedded in research throughout the university, particularly in the Centre for Regional Economic Research team
- Internal operational departments from across the University also work with the team on a range of campaigns from catering to IT, waste and printing. See latest news for information on our most recent campaigns
- Sheffield City Council is a key partner for the sustainability team and the rest of the University. We work closely with the council on funding opportunities and exploring ways to improve facilities for both the local environment and the community
- External Contractors are a key partner in reducing and managing the University's impact on the environment. We work closely with them to ensure our buildings are constructed to environmental standards, and impacts of our operations are minimised. For example Veolia, as our waste contractors, have worked with us to deliver the 'Do the Right Thing' campaign
Through the ISO 14001:2015 environmental management system the university has identified its key stakeholders. These are reviewed annually and help to sculpt the communications and campaigns.
Each year focusses on a sustainability theme, in 2016/17 this was sustainable travel following the creation of a baseline year for commuting emissions. Working with the above partners a communications and engagement plan was devised to ensure all of our key stakeholders are engaged throughout the year, whilst participating with wider national campaigns such as Environment Day and Fairtrade Fortnight. See below for planned events over 2018/19.
To find out more about ongoing or upcoming campaigns or how to get involved as a Green Champion contact the Sustainability Team.
Sheffield Hallam University is not responsible for any external content