Waste and recycling
Sheffield Hallam University is committed to reducing waste volumes and increasing recycling rates across all our operations. We have been working in partnership with our waste contactor Veolia to minimise the impact we have on the environment. You can help us by doing the right thing and always recycling when you can.
What you can recycle at the University
- clean plastic bottles
- clean tins and cans
- The University also has Coffee Cup Recycling Pod Stations located in Chef Hallam Central, Cutting Edge, The Granary and Adsetts Centre catering outlets where you can recycled single-use coffee cups.
As a zero waste to landfill university, all material that cannot be recycled locally is incinerated at Veolia's Energy Recovery Facility (ERF) and fed back into the University's city centre buildings as heat. This video demonstrates this process.
Do the right thing
We are making it even easier for our staff, students and visitors to recycle on campus through our 'Do the right thing' campaign. Through our campaign materials we encourage everyone to reuse and recycle as much as possible. In keeping with the campaign our recycling bins will always be on the right and our general waste on our left. We also use various media to promote our messages
- refreshed bin signage
- social media
- posters and digital messages
- encouraging staff and students to take part in the recycling challenge as part of the recycling roadshow
- taking staff and students to visit the ERF at Bernard Road to see the incinerator in action
- Green Champions are made aware of our recycling requirements and pass on the message in their areas as part of their role
For further information on waste and recycling at the University please see our Recycling Handbook.
Recycling in Sheffield
Visit the Veolia website to find your nearest recycling bank site in Sheffield.
For all your waste and recycling services please visit the Sheffield City Council website.
Sheffield Hallam University is not responsible for any external content