Skip to content

  1. Alumni
  2. How do I?
  3. Request
  4. References

Request a reference

  • Former Students

    There are two types of references that you can request:

    1) Academic references - these typically relate to details about the course you studied, your mode of attendance, your study dates, and the details of any award you achieved. You can request a verification of your degree which covers this information by clicking here. If an agency or prospective employer is asking you for this type of reference, they can visit the Higher Education Degree Datacheck. Information about this service can be found below in the Agencies and Prospective Employers section.

    2) Personal references - these references relate to your abilities, character, and your attendance and engagement with your course. Typically, you should ask a member of staff who knows you to provide you with this. In order to obtain a personal reference, please either contact the member of staff directly, or contact the helpdesk of your former faculty who will then help put you in touch.

  • Agencies and Prospective Employers

    Agencies and prospective employers wanting to request an academic reference for a student need to visit the Higher Education Degree Datacheck. After registering, they can verify your degree in real time by selecting Sheffield Hallam from the list of UK higher education institutions and choosing the "Verify Now" option. Enquirers are charged a £12 fee per enquiry.

Cancel event

Are you sure you want to cancel your place on Saturday 12 November?