Alumni and Supporter Privacy Notice update – February 2021
Tuesday 02 February 2021
As alumni of the University, the Polytechnic or founding colleges, we want to make you aware that we have made some changes to our Alumni Privacy Notice to make it clearer, more comprehensive and easier to understand. Please read on to find out more about these changes and to read the alumni and supporter privacy notice.
We take the privacy of our alumni and supporters seriously and take great care to safeguard it. Transparency is a key element of data protection legislation and our privacy notices are designed to inform you:
- how and why the University uses your personal data,
- what your rights are under GDPR, and,
- how to contact us so that you can exercise those rights.
The key changes we have made are:
- Who the privacy notice relates to: the updated privacy notice now relates to both alumni (former students and recent graduates) and supporters (individuals or partners who are not graduates of the university but are donating or volunteering to support our programmes).
- Why we use your personal data: we have added a more detailed description which clearly distinguishes between our reasons for processing data for alumni relations purposes, and the reasons we process data for supporter relations and fundraising purposes.
- Where data is sourced from: most of the data that we hold is collected directly from you as the data subject, either during your time as a student or after graduation (via online community profile(s), updates from you via our alumni update forms or surveys etc.). In our notice we have made clear the use of publicly available information (e.g. company website, or publicly accessed social media platforms).
- Reference to our online or digital services: like most organisations over the past year, we have adapted to the changing world and found new ways to support the needs of our alumni community. This means we have developed new opportunities such as online mentoring and delivered online events for you to access. We have reflected these changes in our programmes of work in the updated privacy notice below.
Please do take the time to read the latest Alumni and Supporter Privacy Notice.