Everything you need to know...
International/EU: £14,460 for the course
- Develop your teaching skills and confidence during placements with local and regional primary schools
- Gain an up-to-date knowledge of core Key Stage 1 and 2 subjects including English, science and mathematics
- Take part in a summer school PE and sport programme designed to develop your specialist skills to lead physical education in a primary school setting.
This course prepares you for a career as a skilled primary teacher, specialising in physical education. As well as dedicated PE tuition, you gain an up-to-date knowledge of core Key Stage 1 and 2 subjects including English, science and mathematics.
How you learn
Your learning is based on an equal balance of physical education and the core aspects of the primary curriculum. You receive extensive training in English, maths, science and primary practice, alongside specialist PE teaching tuition and experience.
You learn through
- professional placements
- lectures and seminars
Apply for a place through the School Direct scheme for a dedicated route into a job after graduation. When applying through School Direct, the school or partnership of schools that you've applied to will be much more involved in your selection, recruitment and professional development as there is the intention that you will be employed by them if you successfully complete the course.
For more information visit our School Direct page .
Course leaders and tutors
Sarah is year two course leader on the BA Primary and Early Years Teacher Education course and a Primary and Early Years Physical Education specialist.
During the course you develop your teaching skills and confidence during professional placements in at least two schools across the two key stages. You can also opt to take part in a one week international PE teaching placement.
You also take part in a compulsory summer school, designed to enhance your teaching skills.
Throughout your studies you receive guidance and support from a team of lead practitioners and dedicated university and school-based tutors. You also benefit from the input of sporting National Governing Bodies.
This course prepares you for a career as a
- primary classroom teacher
- primary PE specialist based in one school, delivering PE lessons
- primary PE co-ordinator
- primary PE specialist working across a number of schools.
Where will I study?
You study at City Campus through a structured mix of online lessons and face-to-face teaching with access to digital and online resources to support your learning.
City Campus is located in the heart of Sheffield, within minutes of the train and bus stations.
Adsetts Library is located on our City Campus. It's open 24 hours a day, every day.Learn more
Normally you need
• GCSE grade C or Grade 4 in English Language and mathematics and science, or equivalent. Where applicants have achieved a GCSE grade 4 or above in English literature only, we will look for further evidence of a breadth of achievement in English.
• a 2.2 degree or above.
• complete a declaration of criminal convictions and health check forms.
Candidates who are successful will demonstrate a sound understanding of teaching and how children learn, where possible within a school setting. We encourage all candidates to evidence their understanding by drawing on related examples or experiences, such as time spent in schools or other learning settings. Demonstrating an ability to make links between experience and knowledge, and their proposed career would be desirable.
If you are shortlisted, we will invite you to a selection event and you should present a passport or photo driving license. You can present other forms of photo ID for the selection event, but if you do, you will still need to present valid identity documents required by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) prior to starting your course..
If English is not your first language, you must have an IELTS score of 7.0 with a minimum of 6.5 in all skills or equivalent. For equivalents see our English language entry requirements
We welcome applications from people seeking a career change into primary teaching. We actively encourage applications from those groups under-represented in teacher education to ensure the teaching profession represents the diverse nature of present-day UK society.
Course enrolment - professional requirements
Before enrolling you must complete all the professional checks that are required as part of entry for the course:
You must fully declare the following information on the pre-admission suitability declaration form provided during the admissions process:
• unfiltered criminal convictions, cautions, reprimands or warnings. For further information on unfiltered offences please see the Disclosure and Barring Service website.
• involvement in disciplinary proceedings during paid or voluntary employment or education establishments
• involvement with safeguarding proceedings, social services or related organisations
• if you have ever been removed from a teacher training programme as a result of your behaviour, or would have been removed if you had not left the programme
Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Criminal Record Check
• you will be required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) criminal record check prior to or during the enrolment week of your course. This will be provided by the University free of charge.
• you will need to present valid identity documents (PDF) as part of the DBS application process
• if you have lived outside of the UK for more than six consecutive months in the last five years you must provide an overseas criminal record check. Further information on obtaining an overseas criminal record check.
• where your DBS Enhanced Disclosure certificate contains any recorded information you must present this to the Academic Administration Team within ten working days of receipt of the certificate.
• In addition to this all those who are made an offer of a place will be checked against the DfE children’s barred list.
Occupational Health Screening
You will need to undertake occupational health screening to determine your suitability to undertake the course. This will be provided by the University free of charge. As part of this assessment you are expected to provide all relevant, truthful and accurate information to ensure a safe environment for yourself and service users.
Other background checks
All applicants that have accepted an offer will also be checked against the prohibition list to ensure you are not:
• subject to a prohibition order issued by the Secretary of State
• prohibited to teach in another country of the European Economic Area (EEA)
If your personal circumstances change in relation to any of the professional requirements, from when you apply to the end of your course, please notify the Academic Administration team immediately by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional information for EU/International students
If you are an International or non-UK European student, you can find out more about the country specific qualifications we accept on our international qualifications page. You can also watch a video guide on how to apply.
For details of English language entry requirements (IELTS), please see the information for 'All students'.
Module and assessment information for future years is displayed as currently validated and may be liable to change. When selecting electives, your choices will be subject to the core requirements of the course. As a result, selections may be limited to a choice between one of two or more specified electives in some instances.
|Module: Exploring A Pe Specialism Through Collaborative Development||Credits: 30|
|Module: Physical Education Primary Specialist Enhancement||Credits: -|
|Module: Professional Practice And Curriculum Studies 1||Credits: -|
|Module: Professional Practice And Curriculum Studies 2||Credits: -|
|Module: Reflecting On Approaches To Teaching||Credits: 30|
Fees and funding
Our tuition fee for UK students starting full-time study in 2021/22 is £9,250 for the course. For part-time study the fee will be calculated pro-rata each year based on the number of credits studied.
† If you are studying an undergraduate course, postgraduate pre-registration course or postgraduate research course over more than one academic year then your tuition fees may increase in subsequent years in line with Government regulations or UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) published fees. More information can be found in our terms and conditions under student fees regulations.
Our tuition fee for International/EU students starting full-time study in 2021/22 is £14,460 for the course.
Additional course costs
This link allows you to view estimated costs associated with the main activities on specific courses. These are estimates and, as such, are only an indication of additional course costs. Actual costs can vary greatly depending on the choices you make during your course.Additional costs for Teaching and education courses (PDF)
Any offer of a place to study is subject to your acceptance of the University’s Terms and Conditions and Student Regulations.
Responsible for this course?
Find out how you can update the information on this page.