Everything you need to know...
International/EU: See fees section below
- Help your students to understand complex academic discourse.
- Understand student transitions as they access higher education, study specific disciplines and tackle academic culture.
- Critique learning approaches and the role of the EAP practitioner.
- Apply a syllabus informed by the BALEAP competency framework.
- Progress in your teaching and educational management career with a postgraduate qualification and transferable academic credit.
Professional EAP practice opens up a range of exciting career opportunities across the globe. On this flexible short course, you’ll build on your EFL knowledge, pedagogy and professional practice and discover how you can teach EAP effectively in a higher education context.
How you learn
All our courses are designed around a set of key principles based on engaging you with the world, collaborating with others, challenging you to think in new ways, and providing you with a supportive environment in which you can thrive.
This online course is part-time and lasts 16 weeks. Flexible and dynamic eLearning enables you to fit the course around your own personal and professional commitments.
You’ll look at EAP and the contexts in which it is taught. You’ll also study academic language, particularly the disciplinary discourses, genres and assessments that students encounter. Finally, you’ll focus on learner transitions, the development of courses and EAP Quality Assurance.
You learn through
- watching screencasts
- reading recommended texts
- taking part in online discussion
- independent and small group work
- conducting analyses
- focusing on your own topics of interest
- reporting writing
- close supervision with a university academic
Course leaders and tutors
The English language has emerged as a dominant force in academic life across the globe. Millions of students struggle to make sense of academic texts, come to terms with their disciplines and write high-stakes assessments.
EAP is a growing market nationally and internationally and there is currently an increasing demand for well-qualified EAP practitioners who can enable students to cope with the demands of academic study and research at universities.
This course is designed for experienced teachers of English who wish to specialise in teaching English for Academic Purposes (EAP) and develop a career in higher or further education and related contexts.
The course draws on the BALEAP competency framework for UK and international teachers. This accreditation scheme is increasingly becoming a desirable requirement for EAP teaching roles. Members of the course team can support you with applying for professional accreditation with BALEAP.
After completing this course, you may wish to develop your research in teaching EAP and use the academic credit to progress onto an MA or PhD in TESOL and develop an EAP specialism.
This course prepares you for a career in
- a variety of EAP practitioner roles
- HE education management
- pre-sessional teaching and course leadership
- International Foundation Programme curriculum development
- academic literacies and study skills support
- learning development
Previous graduates of this course have gone on to work as
- lecturers in UK universities
- pre-sessional and foundation course leaders
- specialists in universities and research centres across the globe
- practitioners and managers in further education colleges, EAL and ESOL
- examiners for IELTS and Trinity College assessments
Where will I study?
You study this course online from any location
Equipment and facilities
On this course you work with
- Sheffield Hallam’s TESOL Centre, which has thirty years’ experience of delivering postgraduate courses to working teachers. The Centre has an established reputation for providing e-teacher education courses
- online resources such as scholarly and research publications
Two years of general English classroom-teaching experience. Working or planning to work in a HE, FE or related educational contexts.
Additional information for EU/International students
If you are an International or non-UK European student, you can find out more about the country specific qualifications we accept on our international qualifications page. You can also watch a video guide on how to apply.
For details of English language entry requirements (IELTS), please see the information for 'All students'.
Module and assessment information for future years is displayed as currently validated and may be liable to change. When selecting electives, your choices will be subject to the core requirements of the course. As a result, selections may be limited to a choice between one of two or more specified electives in some instances.
|Module: Advanced Professional Certificate In Teaching English For Academic Purposes (Teap)||Credits: 30||
Fees and funding
Our tuition fee for this module for UK postgraduate distance learning students starting part-time study in 2021/22 is £1415
† If you are studying an undergraduate course, postgraduate pre-registration course or postgraduate research course over more than one academic year then your tuition fees may increase in subsequent years in line with Government regulations or UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) published fees. More information can be found in our terms and conditions under student fees regulations.
Our tuition fee for this module for International/EU postgraduate distance learning students starting part-time study in 2021/22 is £2410
Postgraduate student loans
Up to £11,222 available for Home students on most masters courses.
Additional course costs
This link allows you to view estimated costs associated with the main activities on specific courses. These are estimates and, as such, are only an indication of additional course costs. Actual costs can vary greatly depending on the choices you make during your course.Additional costs for Teaching and education courses (PDF, 260.5KB)
Any offer of a place to study is subject to your acceptance of the University’s Terms and Conditions and Student Regulations.
Responsible for this course?
Find out how you can update the information on this page.