Skip to content


Report a Covid-19 case

If you have symptoms or have tested positive, fill in our contact form. This helps us manage cases and offer support.

Report a Covid-19 case


Last reviewed: 8pm, 14 April 2021

Tenancy agreementsRent paymentsSafety measures • Government restrictionsSelf-isolation supportSupport for current students  

Tenancy agreements

We recognise that the government’s introduction of a national lockdown means many of you will be frustrated with the implications for your accommodation arrangements.

Sheffield Hallam University does not own accommodation of its own. However, we are working closely with partner accommodation providers to ensure that our students have clarity on their circumstances and that any change in policy is communicated at the earliest opportunity. At Sheffield Hallam we take our duty of care for our students extremely seriously and we wish to assure you that we are doing everything possible to support you during this challenging period.

Rent payments

We know that some landlords are choosing to offer rent refunds or discounts, and we welcome this. Your landlord or accommodation provider will make decisions about rent and legally binding tenancy agreements, and will communicate them to you directly. If you haven’t received any specific communications on this, you should continue to abide by the terms of your tenancy agreement to the best of your ability. If you have any queries about your tenancy agreement or rent instalment, you should contact your landlord or site management team for further information

Currently, student maintenance loans are continuing as normal, but if you are facing financial difficulties you can contact Hallam Help online, by email at, or telephone on 0114 225 2222 for advice and assistance.

Staying in halls of residence

Many students have opted to stay in their accommodation while accessing lessons online. The University will continue to support all students that wish to stay.

Please contact if you require further information about staying in halls of residence.


Accommodation safety measures

We’ll follow government guidance to give you a safe and comfortable home. This includes:

  • regular and thorough cleaning of communal areas
  • cleaning and inspecting your room before you arrive
  • hand sanitiser stations and clear signage
  • communal spaces arranged with social distancing in mind
  • protective screens and PPE for staff 
  • alterations to parcel delivery, maintenance requests and laundry facilities
  • support and services to help you self-isolate if you become unwell

Back to top


Government restrictions in uni accommodation

It is everyone’s responsibility to understand and follow the government guidance on the latest Covid restrictions where you live, study and work. We encourage you to read the full government guidance on the latest national lockdown.

What 'your household' means

If you live in halls, you will have been advised what your household is. It is usually the flat in which you share a bathroom, kitchen, or communal living area. If you live in private rented accommodation your household will be the people you live with in that house or flat.

Back to top


Self-isolating in University accommodation

If you need to self-isolate, we can offer support with wellbeing, study, living essentials and more.

Our self-isolation section has information on when and how to isolate, and the support available during self-isolation.

Back to top


Accommodation advice and support for current students

We're running a live chat for current students which offers

  • expert advisers on hand to answer any questions you may have about your accommodation
  • information on the support available to you, tenancy advice, halls and private sector queries and quarantine/self-isolation
  • tailored help in finding accommodation for now or next year

The live chat is open weekly on Tuesday and Thursday, from 1–4pm.

Back to top

Report a Covid-19 case

If you have symptoms or have tested positive, fill in our contact form. This helps us manage cases and offer support.

Report a Covid-19 case
Share this page