GoGlobal Fund 2018/19
The GoGlobal Fund encourages students to broaden their horizons and enhance their skills and future employability by undertaking an international activity while studying at Sheffield Hallam University.
The Fund also aims to increase the number of students from under-represented groups and from less-advantaged backgrounds participating in mobility abroad.
Students can receive one GoGlobal award in an academic year to take part in:
- study visits, field trips and other course-related opportunities abroad which are at least five days long and are not already funded by an academic programme;
- short-term opportunities abroad such as internships, volunteering or summer work abroad, which are at least two weeks long;
- Semester- or year-long study exchanges or work placements abroad which are not fully supported by other means.
The award amount will depend on the individual circumstances of the opportunity proposed in the application, and is not likely to exceed £500 per student.
You are eligible to apply for GoGlobal funding if all of the following statements apply to you:
- You are undertaking full- or part-time study at Sheffield Hallam University
- You are enrolled on an undergraduate or postgraduate taught course
- You have not already received GoGlobal funding in the current academic year
Distance-learning students, exchange students and foundation year students are not eligible for the GoGlobal award.
International and EU students cannot apply for opportunities taking place in their home country.
Different eligibility criteria and deadlines apply to PhD students. View application guidelines for PhD students.
When funding is allocated priority will be given to:
- Students with household income is below £42,875 as assessed by their funding body
- Students who have disclosed a disability
- Ethnic minority students
- Care leavers or students estranged from family
- Students with caring responsibilities
- Transgender students
- Students from neighbourhoods with low participation in HE
- Students with no prior international experience (field trips, internships, study, work or volunteering or other projects abroad) while studying at Sheffield Hallam University.
Any activity abroad which meets the minimum duration requirement and takes place during the current academic year and can be completed by 22 September 2019 can be eligible for GoGlobal funding in 2018/19.
The following costs can be covered by the GoGlobal award:
- Accommodation and living costs abroad
- International travel & visas
- Additional insurance if required
- Other related expenses
Individual (self-managed) applications
If you are interested in applying for GoGlobal funding for an individual project, you should book to attend a briefing session here, to get advice on how to identify a suitable activity/project and prepare your application.
You can apply to join academic-led GoGlobal projects. Full details of the available opportunities are published here.
The requirements for each trip vary and additional selection criteria may apply for the academic-led trips - please read the information carefully and follow the instructions to apply.
You will still be required to provide a personal statement outlining why you want to undertake the international experience project and what the expected benefits from the activity are. If you have any doubts or require further assistance with your application, please book to attend one of our briefing sessions here.
Applications from disabled students
We recommend that you meet with a disabled student support adviser prior to applying for either a self-managed or an academic-led trip, to discuss the reasonable adjustments required to enable you to take part in the experience abroad. Please list any reasonable adjustments required in the 'Other relevant information' section of the application form.
Deadlines for individual student applications
- 14 September 2018
- 12 November 2018
- 25 January 2019
- 25 February 2019
- 22 March 2019 (if funding is still available)
When do I find out if my application is successful?
We will endeavour to inform you of the outcome of your application within three weeks of the deadline.
If you are successful you must sign a grant agreement, submit a risk assessment form (for self-managed trips) and provide your bank details before you receive the GoGlobal award amount in your bank account.
If we do not receive all the required documents from you within 3 weeks from the date of the award notification email, the funding will be withdrawn to be reallocated in the next panel meeting.
If you are joining an academic-led trip, we will credit the faculty account with the amount of your GoGlobal award.
Extra Funding Available
For exceptional projects, extra funding is available from The Hallam Fund, which is supported by donations from former students of the University. This will be allocated on the basis of your application and the impact the trip will have on you and the community. You do not need to complete another application form.
- Any opportunity abroad funded by the GoGlobal Fund must be completed before 22 September 2019.
- Retrospective applications are not accepted. You cannot apply for a GoGlobal Award if you are already studying, working or volunteering abroad.
- Unless you are taking part in an academic-led project, you are responsible for making all booking and travel arrangements. You must demonstrate that you have considered the most economical options and that you have explored all other funding opportunities available to you.
- In order to receive the GoGlobal funding, all successful applicants will be required to sign an award agreement, a risk assessment form and complete an online pre-departure briefing within three weeks of receiving the notification of the award or before travelling, whichever is earlier.
- Upon your return, you will be required to report back about your experience. You will be given guidance on the format of the expected feedback. If you fail to do so, you will be required to repay the GoGlobal award in full.
- You must keep any receipts associated with your project abroad. We reserve the right to request evidence that you have used the GoGlobal award as intended. If you fail to produce such evident, you will be required to repay the GoGlobal award.
- The GoGlobal Fund is subject to the Sheffield Hallam University Bursary Guidelines. Any unused GoGlobal funding should be repaid to the university.