Focus on...working overseas
Wednesday 14 October 2015
Did you know you can complete work experience abroad when you finish University?
If you spent time overseas as part of your course, you'll already have first-hand experience of the many benefits, and you'll know what an incredible experience it can be. If you didn’t – well it's not too late to find out!
Why should I consider overseas work experience?
We all know that the UK graduate employment market is fiercely competitive and employers are looking for that something 'extra' – and that's precisely what this can give you.
Overseas work experience
- is a great way to gain sought-after experience you might not be able to secure at home
- gives you an all-important global perspective in an international workplace
- shows you can work with people from a broad range of cultural backgrounds
- demonstrates sought-after qualities including initiative, independence and motivation
On a personal level, it's an amazing opportunity to immerse yourself in a different culture and gain unique experiences you'll always remember. And whether you communicate in English or the local tongue, living overseas is the ideal way to learn or practice your language skills.
How can I find overseas work experience?
- Visit Careers Connect for lots of useful information about working abroad. Many opportunities available to students are also open to recent graduates, so select the links to find out more
- Book an appointment with a careers consultant at Careers Connect who can talk you through your options
- Look into one of the global internship schemes such as AIESEC, Council on International Educational Exchange and ErasmusIntern.org
If you begin your search now, you will drastically increase your chances of finding an opportunity for next year. If you're hoping to go straight into a permanent position in the UK, it's still worth considering as one of your options.