Terms and conditions of hire
In the context of these terms and conditions, 'SHU' shall mean Sheffield Hallam University and 'the hirer' shall mean any individual, group of individuals, club or organisation who consents to hire SHU owned or managed sports facilities. The completion of a booking form by the hirer is deemed by SHU as acceptance of the terms and conditions stated below.
- Scale of charges
The charge for use of any venue or part of that venue shall be indicated on the current price list or as subsequently agreed between SHU and the hirer.
Payment of all bookings must be paid by the hirer in full immediately on receipt of an official invoice issued by SHU (less any deposit already paid) If payment is not received within the specified timescale, future bookings will be cancelled with immediate effect.
- Refusal and cancellation
At any time, SHU reserve the right to:
- refuse any application as it may deem fit without giving reason
- cancel any booking on giving seven days notice to the hirer. Upon any official cancellation, SHU will refund the hirer any monies paid in respect of the booking so cancelled by SHU will not be responsible for any expenditure whatsoever in relation to the booking which the hirer may have incurred or be liable to pay.
- Transfer of hiring
The hirer shall not transfer the benefit or burden of the hire contract or any part thereof.
- SHU shall specify the maximum number of persons who will be permitted to use any facility within the venue or any part thereof.
- SHU reserve to all persons authorised by SHU the right of entry to every part of the facility or venue at all times and for any purpose.
- SHU reserve to all persons authorised by SHU the right to refuse admission or remove from the facility or venue, or any part thereof, any person without stating a reason.
- Equipment and premises
- At the end of the period of hire any equipment used during the period of hire shall be returned to the place it was found.
- At the end of the period of hire any part of the facility or venue used during the period of hire shall be left by the hirer in a tidy and orderly condition. (Note: the hirer is responsible for ensuring that all equipment and facilities provided are used correctly and that no other equipment fixed or portable is interfered with).
- The hirer is held responsible for the effective supervision of the arrangements and activities in any part of the facilities or venue during the period of hire and for the prevention of disorderly behaviour, and the hirer shall comply with any reasonable request of any authorised person of SHU in relation to this.
- No function or event shall be advertised or announced until SHU has both accepted the application and confirmed acceptance has been forwarded to the hirer.
- No persons shall fix or exhibit advertising in or upon any part of the facilities/venues without the previous written consent of SHU, and for this purpose the hirer shall submit to an authorised person of SHU, one copy of the notice or advertisement to be used in connection with the event or function for which the facilities are to be used.
The hirer shall:
- Repay SHU on demand, the cost of reinstating or replacing any part of the facilities or any property in or upon the facility or venue which shall be damaged, destroyed, stolen or removed during the period of hire.
- The hirer shall indemnify SHU against all actions, proceedings, costs, claims and demands for injury to persons or damage to property arising out of or in connection with the use by the hirer of the venue during the period of hire, except to the extent that such injury or damage shall arise from any act or omission of SHU, SHU's servants or agents or from any breach on the part of SHU of its obligations under the contract.
- The hirer shall, but without limiting his responsibilities under the contract, insure against any loss, damage or injury which may occur to any property or any person for which he may be responsible or liable to indemnify the hirer in the sum of £500,000 for any one incident or such other sum as may be specified in the order.
- It is the responsibility of the hirer to check the playing surfaces/equipment are fit for purpose before any activity is played on them and report any damage to Sheffield Hallam Active.
- Lost property
- SHU and their staff shall not be responsible to the hirer or any other persons for damage, loss, theft or removal of any property brought or left by any person (including the hirer) in or upon any part of the facilities/venues (including changing rooms) during the hire, and
- the hirer shall indemnify SHU and their staff from and against all claims, demands, actions and proceedings in respect of any such damage, loss, theft or removal or any loss sustained by any person due to the consequences of such damage, theft or removal.
- SHU and their staff shall not in any circumstances be held responsible to the hirer or any other person for the damage, loss, theft or removal of any motor vehicle, motorcycle or bicycle, and
- the hirer shall indemnify SHU and their staff from and against all claims, demands, actions and proceedings in respect of any such damage, loss theft or removal or any loss sustained by any persons due to the consequence of such damage, theft or removal.
If SHU deem fit, the hirer shall, before the date of hiring, insure at their own expense in the joint name of the hirer and SHU against any loss, injury or damage howsoever caused and shall maintain such insurance during the period of hire.
- Breach of terms and conditions If the hirer shall fail to observe or perform, in any respect, the terms and conditions herein before stated, SHU may without notice determine the hirer's rights under the hire contract. Such determination shall not release the hirer from any of his/her obligations under the contract or affect any right or remedy which SHU have under the contract or otherwise.