How to pack for uni
By Alison Davey BA Marketing Communications and Advertising
"When I started uni I overpacked and brought so much stuff. I now realise you don’t need to bring your entire wardrobe.
"I would say one large suitcase of clothes, a couple of boxes of other stuff and a bin-liner of bedding is about the right level.
"However much your parents want you to bring four of everything, you only really need one or two bowls, knives, forks, etc. Otherwise you'll end up with 20 bowls in the cupboards.
"Along with all the obvious things like towels and your laptop, here are some useful things you might forget
- As much food from home as possible – giant bags of pasta, beans, tuna, anything that doesn’t go off
- Coat hangers – lots of my friends forgot to pack these
- Photos of friends and family – the fastest way to make it feel like home
- Earplugs and an eye mask - to help get your 8 hours' sleep a night
"Forgotten something or want to decorate your room? The Sheffield Hallam Students’ Union are running a trip to IKEA on Tuesday 25 September."
What you need to bring
There are some official things you definitely have to bring. Make sure you have everything on this checklist so you can enrol when you get here.
- your printed summary from your online pre-enrolment
- the relevant qualifications for your course (email email@example.com if you're not sure which ones you need)
- passport or driving licence for ID – you need this to enrol
- your national insurance number if required for your course - you need this to enrol
- information from your funding authority
- any emails you received about your enrolment and your course induction
- the Insider's Guide and the maps included
If you're moving to Sheffield
- your accommodation information and/or a copy of your tenancy agreements
- NHS medical card and details of your vaccination history
- a month's supply of any prescription medication you take and repeat prescription forms
- details of medical conditions and a letter from your doctor detailing any prescribed drugs you are taking
- any insurance documents for valuable items like a laptop
- enough money to last you for the first few weeks including your bank card