Support for care leavers
We support you throughout your time with us – from when you apply to the time you graduate.
Before you start
- Get dedicated and appropriate help with your University application and advice during your transition to University
- You could be eligible for extra admissions support through SHU Progress
- You can book an individual career guidance appointment to discuss your future – call the Careers Connect on 0114 225 3752 to arrange this
- We'll help to arrange accommodation for the whole year, including university holidays
- You may be able to apply for the Unite Foundation Scholarship, which includes free accommodation for up to three years
While you're studying here
- You can apply for our Care Leaver Bursary – check with us to see if you're eligible
- You'll get a dedicated student adviser who can provide personalised help and support
- Referrals for support with funding issues, financial hardship and money skills
- Take part in our Career Impact Programme – exclusive workshops and employer networking opportunities to support your graduate job applications
A dedicated member of staff for you
Our care leaver co-ordinator
- offers you information, advice and guidance if you're interested in coming to Sheffield Hallam
- acts as a link between you and your local authority
- gives you the opportunity to visit our campuses before you arrive to study
Accommodation that suits you
We'll help you find accommodation that suits you – including year-round contracts so you can stay during the holidays.
There are lots of types of accommodation to choose from, including halls of residence, places with a family, rooms with a landlord and bedsits. If you want we'll take you to the accommodation office to explore your options.
Student support at Sheffield Hallam
You'll have access to all our support and guidance services, including
- student wellbeing
- disability support
- careers connect
- financial support
- international student support
- The Skills Centre
You might be able to receive the Care Leaver Bursary (£9,000 fee cohort), which gives you £1,500 for each year you're studying at Sheffield Hallam.
You might be able to receive the Care Leaver Package (£9,250 fee cohort), which gives you £3,500 for each year you're studying at Sheffield Hallam. The Care Leavers Package guarantees care leavers a bursary of up to £1,500 a year and an additional award from the Student Success Scholarship of £2,000.
The Student Success Scholarship is dedicated to helping you succeed at Sheffield Hallam. Apply when you begin studying and you could receive up to £2,000 and extra support during your time here.
Find out more
For details about the support available to you, call 0114 225 4777 or email firstname.lastname@example.org