Skip to content

How do I get support for my disability?

1. Register with Disabled Student Support

New applicants can register online from April.  Current students can register at any time. All disabled applicants are sent information about how to create a login. If you have any problems contact Once we see your registration, we can advise you about the next steps.

2. Provide medical evidence

You may need different medical evidence for different conditions.

You can upload medical evidence when you register, or you can post or email it to us. We can put a basic learning contract in place for you as soon as we receive your medical evidence.

3. Apply for Disabled Student Allowances

Most UK students are eligible for Disabled Student Allowances and should apply as early as possible to get a full assessment of their support needs. You can apply before your place on a course is confirmed, If you can't apply, contact us and we will support you in another way.

4. Receive approval to book a Study Needs Assessment

Your funding body will send you a letter asking you to book an assessment.

5. Book and attend a Study Needs Assessment

We strongly recommend that you attend Sheffield Regional Assessment Centre, based at Sheffield Hallam University.

6. Receive your support

After your assessment you will be able to arrange your full support. Depending on your assessment this is likely to include

  • Support workers
  • Equipment
  • Learning Contract
Share this page

Cancel event

Are you sure you want to cancel your place on Saturday 12 November?