Skip to content

Deafness and Hearing Impairment

We use the term 'deaf' to cover various levels of hearing loss and a range of communication needs.

The University offers specialist support to deaf students, and our team makes sure your individual needs are met. We work closely with colleges and academic staff to ensure that you receive the correct support.

What support is available?

We can provide practical support with your course through a learning contract. Our focus is on you as a learner and the impact that your hearing impairment may have on your studies. Support can be provided for lectures and seminars, assignments and exams. We can also advise on support for work placements.

You may be eligible for Disabled Students' Allowances. If so, you may receive support through a study needs assessment. This can include support workers and equipment such as

  • an interpreter if British sign language is your preferred method of communication
  • a tutor to help with technical English if English is not your first language
  • a note taker o take notes for you in lectures
  • specialist equipment and software

We also work closely with a wide range of University and community services and can signpost you to additional support.

What evidence do I need to get support?

You will need to give us a copy of a letter from your GP or audiologist and it will need to include

  • the diagnosis and/or recent audiogram
  • the impact of your hearing loss on your studies

If you do not already have medical evidence we recommend taking this form to your GP. It provides evidence in a format accepted by the main funding bodies.

How do I send you my medical evidence?

Click here for more information.

Share this page

Cancel event

Are you sure you want to cancel your place on Saturday 12 November?