Skip to content

Specific learning difficulties

The term 'specific learning difficulties' covers a range of disabilities including dyslexia, dyspraxia and dyscalculia.

What support is available?

We can provide practical support with your course through a learning contract.

Our focus is on you as learner and the impact that your specific learning difficulty may have on your studies. This could include supporting you in lectures, seminars, assessments and exams. Support can include

  • 15 minutes extra time per hour in exams and phase tests
  • permission to attach a sticker to inform teaching staff to mark exams and assignments only for content, not spelling, punctuation and grammar
  • extensions on coursework for disability-related reasons

You may be eligible for Disabled Students' Allowances. If so, you may receive additional support through a study needs assessment. This can include

  • support workers such as a study skills tutor
  • assistive software
  • a digital recorder

Support is offered on an individual basis and will be discussed with you in your guidance appointment or Study Needs Assessment.

What evidence do I need to get support?

You will need a diagnostic assessment report which

  • evidences your specific learning difficulty
  • complies with the DfES guidelines 2005
  • JCQ access arrangements undertaken at school or college are not sufficient evidence for support in higher education

We may be able to provide you with an assessment free of charge before you starting your course, providing you have accepted a firm offer or a conditional firm offer with us as your first choice. However, if you decide not to start this course you charged the full cost of the assessment. Please contact us for further information.

How do I send you my medical evidence?

Click here for more information.

Share this page

Cancel event

Are you sure you want to cancel your place on Saturday 12 November?