Skip to content

Visual impairment

What support is available?

We can provide practical support with your course through a learning contract. Our focus is on you as a learner and the impact that your visual impairment may have on your studies. Support can be provided for lectures and seminars, assignments and exams.

We can also arrange for exam papers and core teaching materials to be made available in the appropriate format. Our learning centre staff can help you find academic texts.

IT resources

Your preferred desktop settings - resolution, font size and colour scheme - can be made available at whichever University PC you log into.

All the University's PCs also have

  • Zoomtext - screen magnification
  • Jaws - screen reader

There are also assistive technology resource (ATR) areas in each learning centre. The areas are located on all floors of the Adsetts Centre and on the ground floor of the Collegiate Learning Centre.

You can book desktop computers and access to 22 inch adjustable monitors with adjustable arms in all ATR areas. We also have

  • a scanner with optical character recognition software - level 4 Adsetts Centre, ground floor of Collegiate Learning Centre
  • a CCTV magnifier for enlarging printed text - level 2 Adsetts Centre, ground floor of Collegiate Learning Centre

You may be eligible for Disabled Students' Allowances. If so, you may receive support through a Study Needs Assessment. This can include support workers and equipment such as

  • computer equipment
  • a printer/scanner
  • a digital recorder

Our support workers can help you access learning centre materials. This may include locating relevant subject material, reading or recording relevant sections and scanning the information into a document.

Support is offered on an individual basis and will be discussed with you in your guidance appointment or Study Needs Assessment.

What evidence do I need to get support?

You will need to give us a copy of a letter from your GP which includes

  • the diagnosis
  • the duration of the symptoms
  • details, where appropriate, of any medication and any reported side affects
  • the impact of the condition on your studies

If you do not already have medical evidence we recommend taking this form to your GP. It provides evidence in a format accepted by the main funding bodies.

How do I send you my medical evidence?

Click here for more information.

Share this page

Cancel event

Are you sure you want to cancel your place on Saturday 12 November?