Support for mature students
If you are returning to education after a long absence, embracing student life after a very different role in the workplace, or trying to balance your studies with family and other commitments, we can help.
To find out about the support on offer for mature students and those returning to learning check out our blog pages
Student Success Scholarship
Our Student Success Scholarship is dedicated to helping you succeed at Sheffield Hallam. You could receive up to a £2,000 financial award, as well as priority access to programmes designed to support your wellbeing, develop your employability and enhance your money management skills.
Apply online from 25 September. Search 'Student Success Scholarship' on MyHallam for full details.
General team overview
We offer a programme of support to help mature students settle into university life.
We run a Mature Students' Welcome Programme which is your chance to visit Sheffield Hallam before you start, ask any questions you have about university life, and practice skills and techniques to make the most of your time as a student.
- build confidence and socialise with other mature students
- find out what to expect from university life
- understand academic study at university level
- get hints and tips from current mature students
- meet support staff and discover the range of services available
- meet staff from your faculty to find out about teaching and learning at Sheffield Hallam University
The programme is not compulsory to attend, but if you are starting with us as a new mature student you might find it useful to join this free half day event.
Check the Student Support Services blog for details of support and events for mature students.
Mature Students' Welcome Programme 2018
- City Campus: Thursday 20 September, 9:00am – 2.15pm - For students studying in the Sheffield Business School (SBS)
- City Campus: Thursday 20 September, 12:45pm – 5:20pm - For students studying in the faculty of Science, Technology & Arts (STA)
- Collegiate Campus: Friday 21 September, 9:00am - 2:15pm - For students studying in the faculties of Health & Wellbeing (HWB) and Social Sciences and Humanities (SSH)
Support throughout your time with us
As a mature student you can
- get help from our specialist student advisers based in Student Support Services
- join our volunteer buddying scheme which matches you with another student from Sheffield Hallam University, so you can learn through sharing
- work for our team of student ambassadors on a variety of projects, including next year's Mature Students' Welcome Programme
- meet and socialise with other mature students through the Mature Students Facebook Group
For more information about the welcome programme or any other aspect of support, call 0114 225 2222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org