Support for students with caring responsibilities
Do you provide unpaid support to a friend or family member who due to illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction cannot cope without your help?
You're not alone.
At Sheffield Hallam, we understand that as a carer you have more responsibilities than most students. That's why we offer you extra support throughout your time with us.
To find out about the support on offer for carers check out our blog.
Student Success Scholarship
Our Student Success Scholarship is dedicated to helping you succeed at Sheffield Hallam. You could receive up to a £2,000 financial award, as well as priority access to programmes designed to support your wellbeing, develop your employability and enhance your money management skills.
General team overview
Before you start
SHU Progress provides extra support if you face barriers going to university, including if you have caring responsibilities (subject to requirements).
- a named contact
- emails about Sheffield Hallam life
- exclusive visits to the university
- special consideration during the admissions process (in exceptional circumstances only)
- interview preparation workshops for health, social care, nursing, social work and teaching courses
For more information contact the compact team on 0114 225 4231 or email SHU-Progress@shu.ac.uk
While you're studying here
We have dedicated advisers who provide practical, financial and welfare advice to student carers. This includes
- support with settling in – register your caring responsibilities when you enrol onto your course and we will be in touch to check how you're settling into university life and help you resolve any issues
- more information online and regular newsletters by email about relevant opportunities and services
- one-to-one advice about university life and referrals to university services and local carers’ organisations
For more information contact our student carer advisers via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have caring responsibilities you may need extra financial support, due to higher than expected costs or sudden financial emergencies.
The Student Success Scholarship, starting in 2017, is dedicated to helping you succeed at Sheffield Hallam. Apply when you begin studying and you could receive up to £2,000 and extra support during your time here.
You could be eligible for a number of reasons including, for example, if you are from a lower income household, have caring responsibilities, are leaving local authority care, or are disabled or transgender.
For more information about these financial support schemes ring 0114 225 2184 or email email@example.com.