We support you throughout your time with us – from when you apply to the time you graduate.
Before you start
- Get dedicated and appropriate help with your University application and advice during your transition to University
- You could be eligible for extra admissions support through SHU Progress
- You may be able to apply for the Unite Foundation Scholarship, which includes free accommodation for up to three years
- Estranged Students Transition Fund. Our new discretionary support fund may be able to assist you with the cost of accommodation deposits or provide small grants towards the costs of starting at University for those without family support
A dedicated member of staff for you
Our care leaver and estranged students coordinator
- offers you information, advice and guidance if you're interested in coming to Sheffield Hallam
- gives you the opportunity to visit our campuses before you arrive to study
Accommodation that suits you
We'll help to arrange accommodation for the whole year, including university holidays.
We'll help you find accommodation that suits you – including year-round contracts so you can stay during the holidays.
There are lots of types of accommodation to choose from, including halls of residence, places with a family, rooms with a landlord and bedsits. If you want we'll take you to the accommodation office to explore your options.
While you're studying here
- You'll get a dedicated student adviser who can provide personalised help and support
- Referrals for support with funding issues, financial hardship and money skills
- Your named contact in our Careers Connect team can help you to take part in our Career Mentoring Scheme and Career Impact Programme – exclusive workshops and employer networking opportunities to support your graduate job applications
- You will have named contacts for estranged students in the Student Wellbeing Service where our trained advisers can offer personal and emotional support
Please see our blog for more information about support at Sheffield Hallam.
Student support at Sheffield Hallam
You'll have access to all our support and guidance services, including
- student wellbeing
- information about childcare
- disability support
- careers and employment
- financial support
- international student support
- The Skills Centre
The Student Success Scholarship, starting in 2017, is dedicated to helping you succeed at Sheffield Hallam. Apply when you begin studying and you could receive up to £2,000 and extra support during your time here.
You could be eligible for a number of reasons including, for example, if you are from a lower income household, have caring responsibilities, are leaving local authority care, or are disabled or transgender. Check back for more information in the coming months.
Find out more
For details about the support available to you, call 0114 225 4777 or email email@example.com