2018 National Student Survey
What is the National Student Survey?
The survey is open to all final year undergraduate students. It's run annually and is commissioned by the Higher Education Funding Council (HEFCE) for England and it's independently run by Ipsos Mori.
When does the survey run?
The 2018 survey is now closed. Thank you to all final year students who completed the survey. You’ve provided valuable feedback on our course and helped to raise £14,136 for Student Minds, the UK’s student mental health charity.
Why should you complete the survey?
- It's your opportunity to rate the quality of your overall University experience.
- Your satisfaction scores are publically available to prospective students, their families and advisors to compare courses and make informed decisions of where and what to study.
- Your feedback and comments help the University keep what's good and make improvements for the future generation of students.
How to complete the survey
Final year students will receive emails from Ipsos Mori and the University containing a link to the survey. Alternatively you can also complete the survey
- at your course completion session or at your faculty events - your tutors will give you details of these
- via the pop up prompt when you log into your student account
- by going direct to the survey at thestudentsurvey.com
You will need your student ID to log onto the survey. If you have problems completing the survey email NSS@shu.ac.uk
Make a difference
We will use your feedback to improve areas that are important to you and will be valued by future students. Feedback from previous students has helped the University to provide
- improvements to assessment and feedback
- clear and accessible assessment results through My Student Record
- access to specialist support services through Student Support Services and the Students' Union Advice Centre
- academic advisors for all students
- investment in the University's estate to provide excellent teaching and social spaces
- 24/7 opening of the libraries
- the Students' Union Hallam Award which recognises skills developed through extra-curricular activities.
- student nominated inspirational teaching awards
2017 National Student Survey results
The National Student Survey results for 2017 have been published after thousands of our students took the time to give us their feedback.
Top 50 for student satisfaction
The results put us as one of the top 50 universities in the country, with Sheffield Hallam moving up to 46th among 121 comparable higher education institutions* in England.
85 per cent of our students are satisfied with the quality of their course, a one per cent increase on last year. Across the country overall satisfaction fell to 84 per cent meaning Sheffield Hallam is above the national average.
86 per cent of our students were satisfied with teaching on their course, again putting Hallam above the national average of 85 per cent.
We are also ranked 8th in the country for satisfaction with learning resources with a score of 90 per cent.
A number of our courses received 100 per cent satisfaction including mechanical engineering, fashion, sociology, human biology, forensic accounting and international business.
Thank you to all our students who took the time to complete this year's survey. Your feedback and comments help the University keep what's good and make improvements for the future generation of students.
You can find out more about the satisfaction survey and how it is compiled at National Student Survey.
*We benchmark against a list of comparable higher education institutions which are universities excluding small and specialist institutions.