Practice Placement Educator Updates
It is important to keep updated as a practice placement educator. Here at SHU we encourage our practice placement educators to complete an update annually. The annual update forms part of the biannual audit process and as such it is important to pass the date of your update to your placement coordinator / the person who completes the audit for your area. At SHU we provide update opportunities in a range of ways.
If you are an experienced educator, you may wish to join the Local Approved Practice Placement Educator (L'APPLE) course for an update - more details, including information about how to apply for this free course will be posted on this website.
The following Core areas must be included in all Practice Educator updates:
- HCPC professional standards, including new Standards of Conduct Performance and Ethics
- Overview of the students' university programme
- Assessment process that occurs in practice
- Process to follow when a student is failing to progress
- How to access placement information websites for key information and SHU contacts
- How to access placement information websites for key information about support available to Mentors/Practice Educators/Supervisors in their role in supporting the students
- Where SHU placement learning policies are housed on the SHU placement learning websites
- Processes for escalation of concerns, and the essential need for the placement provider to communicate with the university about any incidents or accidents or concerns
Many Trusts offer practice placement educator meetings anywhere between twice yearly and quarterly, these meetings allow a two way discussion between educators and the visiting tutor around placement learning. Often the visiting tutor will update educators on aspects of the curriculum, issues arising from the evaluation process or update on general issues arising such as supporting students with learning contracts. If you are unsure if your Trust already offers these, or would like to arrange something, please contact your visiting tutor. The halfway visit to see your student is usually an opportunity to update the practice placement educator on any aspects of the course; if you have any specific queries regarding this, please let your visiting tutor know. Further support and CPD opportunities are available from Sheffield Hallam University.
Extended Scope Supervisors Workshop
These slides were presented at the Extended Scope Supervisors Workshop. They are included here to provide guidance to providers who are interested in offering an Extended Scope placement to Occupational Therapy students as well as existing placement providers.