All of our courses require different levels of qualifications for entry and the details provided below is general guidance only.
All applicants are required to gain a recognised English language qualification before entering any of our courses. For pre-sessional English programmes and courses below degree level, this must be one from a list of UK government recognised tests, most commonly IELTS. For degree level programmes (bachelors, masters and PhD), we consider a wide range of international qualifications. Please check the course entry qualification on our online prospectus and our English language page for full details.
The following qualifications will be considered for entry onto undergraduate programmes:
- Two GCE/VCE A level passes
- High School Leaving Certificate, which is recognised as equivalent to A level standard
- Other international qualifications gained after 13 years of secondary/further education
- Please contact our admissions office at firstname.lastname@example.org for advice on equivalents
Sheffield Hallam welcomes applications from international school students taking the International Baccalaureate Diploma and those achieving 28 points or more will usually be successful in obtaining an offer of a place on our undergraduate programmes. For information about IB points equivalencies against the UCAS tariff please visit the UCAS website.
Pre-masters programme (Graduate diploma)
The following qualifications will be considered for entry on to pre-masters programmes:
- Diplomas awarded after a minimum of two years study after completion of a secondary education
- Students holding a degree in a subject considered unsuitable for direct entry to a masters programme - 'conversion' students
Postgraduate taught programmes (Masters)
The following qualifications will be considered for entry on to postgraduate taught programmes:
- A first degree or professional qualification recognised as being equivalent to degree standard
- An HND or higher education diploma with substantial work experience in an appropriate field
- Successful completion of a recognised pre-Masters course
- Please consult our admissions office at email@example.com for advice on equivalents
Postgraduate research programmes
The following qualifications will be considered for entry on to postgraduate research programmes (MPhil/PhD)
- Masters degree from a recognised university
In most cases, students are required to submit a full application for PhD study, including a formal research proposal.
You can find further information on all our undergraduate and postgraduate courses on our online prospectus.