Skip to content

Frequently asked questions

Erasmus logo

In addition to the information below, current Sheffield Hallam students can also find answers to lots of frequently asked questions about study and work abroad on the "Erasmus and exchanges" pages on SHU Space.

How do I apply to come to Sheffield Hallam University on an exchange?

Information for students interested in coming to study at Sheffield Hallam University as an exchange student can be found on our how to apply pages. Please note, in order to study at the University as an exchange student, there needs to be a valid student exchange agreement in place with your home university. A list of our exchange partners can be found on our partners page.

Current Sheffield Hallam students who are interested in studying abroad should speak to their College co-ordinator and students interested in working abroad should speak to their College placement team.

What do I do if I can’t see my home university listed as a partner of Sheffield Hallam University?

If your university is not listed on our partners page, speak to your tutor at your home university to see if they are planning to set up an agreement. However, please note it can take time for agreements to be established so it is unlikely that you will be able to come to the University as an exchange student if your university is not already a current partner. Your tutor will be able to advise you on which universities your home university has agreements with and the options available to you.

Who can I contact for more information on available courses?

To find out more about what you can study as an exchange student at Sheffield Hallam University, please see the what you can study pages on our website.

How will I be assessed for my study/work period abroad?

Students who successfully complete a study period at Sheffield Hallam University will be issued with a full transcript detailing the academic credit they have been awarded upon successful completion of their study period. Full details of how exchange students are assessed can be found on our how you will be assessed page.

Where can I live as an exchange student?

Information about finding accommodation in Sheffield can be found on our accommodation webpages. Once you have been offered a place to study with us as an exchange student, full details of how and when to apply for your accommodation will be provided. For exchange students who are studying in Semester 1 (September - January) we are unable to offer halls accommodation in our managed or partnership residences but we can give you help and advice in seeking private sector accommodation. When you apply online for accommodation, choose 'private sector housing' as your first and second choice and indicate clearly in the notes section that you're a first semester student. You'll then be sent information on how to book onto our househunting week. For exchange students who are studying in Semester 2 (February - May), you should apply online for accommodation and instead of choosing private sector you should be able to identify two Halls of Residence which you would like to be considered for. Students applying for accommodation for the second semester should know that accommodation is based on availability and specific requests for single gender, mature student environment etc. cannot be guaranteed.

What can I do if I have already signed an accommodation contract for a year in Sheffield but now want to do a semester abroad?

If you have already signed an accommodation contract in Sheffield but wish to study or work abroad for a semester, our Accommodation Services can help you find a replacement student tenant to take over the contract from you for the time that you are abroad. Please contact them as soon as possible to start this process.

What are the semester dates at Sheffield Hallam University?

Full term start and end dates, including details of holidays, can be found in our academic calendar.

Do I need a visa to study or work abroad?

Whether you need a visa depends on the country you are studying or working in and your nationality. If you are a Home or EU student you will not need a visa to study abroad in another EU country. If you are classed as an international student for fees purposes or if you are studying outside the EU you should check the visa requirements for that country as a visa may be necessary. If you are coming to study at Sheffield Hallam University as an exchange student, whether you need a visa depends again on your nationality and the country you are visiting from. Please be aware that it may take up to 8 weeks to get a visa, so apply early. If you need support with your visa application or any other advice please contact the International Experience team by emailing

Share this page

Cancel event

Are you sure you want to cancel your place on Saturday 12 November?