How to apply – information for incoming exchange students
Before you apply we recommend that you contact your home university's exchange co-ordinator for the latest information about studying on exchange at Sheffield Hallam University.
You will need to evidence an appropriate level of English and provide any available academic transcripts from your university studies to date. Art and design applicants are also required to submit a portfolio with their application form.
Students applying for an exchange period at Sheffield Hallam will have to select a minimum credit load of 60 CATS (30 ECTS) credits per semester.
Alternative modules may be offered to applicants after receipt of your application, or on arrival in Sheffield, depending on demand for places and timetabling considerations.
- Check the modules you would like to apply for and contact your exchange co-ordinator to ask to be nominated for an exchange at Sheffield Hallam. Our nomination deadline for semester 1 exchanges (starting in September) is 30 April. The deadline for semester 2 exchanges (starting in January) is 30 September.
- Once your nomination is accepted you will be sent a link to our online exchange application form.
- Submit your application form with evidence of your English language ability (see below) and attach a transcript of records which details all your university results prior to applying for exchange. Art and design applicants are also required to submit a portfolio.
- Our deadline for semester 1 applications is 31 May. Our deadline for semester 2 applications is 31 October.
- You will be notified by email of the status of your application.
- Once your application has been accepted you will be instructed to print and complete the learning agreement for exchange students (.doc, 432KB) based on modules chosen from the course information pack and get it signed by an authorised representative from your university – please note that your study programme will only be finalised when you arrive at the University.
English language requirements for exchange students
- If you wish to study with us on an exchange for a full academic year, you will need to apply for student visa and you will need to have a Secure English Language Test (SELT) qualification in order to secure this visa. If you are a national of a majority English-speaking country, or have a qualification taught in an English-speaking country, you will not be required to prove your knowledge of English.
- If you wish to study with us on an exchange for a semester (six months or less), then you will not need to apply for a student visa, but you will still need to have evidence of your English language ability in order to be accepted. Details of recognised English language qualifications can be found on our website. If you do not have a relevant English language qualification, we will accept a letter from your home institution as confirmation of an appropriate level of English.
For all queries relating to coming to Sheffield Hallam on exchange please email email@example.com