Accommodation on arrival
We have been working closely with our accommodation providers to ensure you are able to settle safely into your student accommodation and have an enjoyable start at University in September 2021.
Most international students arriving in September 2021 will need to self-isolate for 10 days on arrival in the UK.
- If you are arriving from a red-list country, you will need to book and pay for a hotel quarantine package prior to travel. Only UK Government approved providers can offer this service.
- If you are arriving from an amber-list country, you will need to self-isolate on arrival in Sheffield. You will need to book a Covid test package prior to travel.
Please check the UK Government information for further guidance before you travel.
Support during self-isolation:
Sheffield Hallam University can provide free accommodation and supply of food & essentials for the quarantine duration to students from amber-list countries required to self-isolate for 10 days after arrival.
Arriving from an amber-list country:
- If you have booked accommodation through the University Accommodation Service with one of the University's partner providers, you will be able to self-isolate in this accommodation. You can arrive up to two weeks before your contract starts free-of-charge.
- If you have secured accommodation with a private landlord directly, but they have advised that you cannot self-isolate at that property or you haven’t arranged accommodation yet, you can request temporary accommodation for the quarantine period from the University’s Accommodation Services.
To benefit from the support on offer, you must inform us when you will arrive in Sheffield at least 7 days before your planned arrival date by filling in our Virtual Meet & Greet form (open for submissions in August 2021). You will need to provide the exact address you will be staying in on arrival, and full contact details so we can keep in touch with you while you are in self-isolation. You must not leave your accommodation during this period unless you need to seek medical help.
If you are travelling with dependents:
- Sheffield Hallam is only able to offer self-isolation support for students. We cannot extend this offer to any dependants.
- We strongly recommend that you travel to the UK alone first, complete your period of quarantine or self-isolation and then arrange for your dependants to join you once you have arranged suitable accommodation and can support your dependants during self-isolation.
If you do travel with dependants, you will need to cover the full cost of any quarantine or self-isolation accommodation. A hotel / serviced apartment may be most suitable in these circumstances. Accommodation services can provide you with a list. When the location of the self-isolation has been confirmed with us (and subject to it being in Sheffield) we will provide the standard grocery support package offered to single students in University-arranged self-isolation accommodation. We are not able to provide specialist supplies, e.g., to support small children; these will need to be arranged by you.
Arriving from a red-list country:
- You must follow the UK Government’s guidance and book a hotel quarantine package before you travel to the UK. The University is not permitted to provide this service.
- In case you find the cost of hotel quarantine prohibitive, please contact International Admissions on firstname.lastname@example.org and they will be able advise you on your deferral options.
Study during quarantine
We advise you to arrive in the UK at least 10 days before the start of teaching, so you can complete your quarantine without missing any teaching. We also advise you to bring your laptop with you so you can catch up with teaching materials online.