Accommodation on arrival
We know how important it is for you to get settled into your University accommodation and feel at home, so we have been working closely with our accommodation providers and the local Public Health services to ensure you are able to settle safely into your accommodation and have an enjoyable start at University.
Whether you are starting your course in September 2020 or January 2021, we guarantee the same package of support.
Students will need to self-quarantine for 10 days on arrival in the UK. Please check the UK Government information before you travel.
Guidance for self-quarantine:
If you have booked accommodation through the University Accommodation Service with one of the University's partner providers:
- You will be able to self-quarantine in this accommodation. You can arrive up to two weeks before your contract start date free-of- charge and you will also receive supply of food & essentials during the quarantine at no additional cost.
- To benefit from the support on offer, you must inform us when you will arrive in Sheffield at least 7 days before your planned arrival date by filling in our Virtual Meet & Greet form. You will need to provide the exact address you will be staying in on arrival, and full contact details.
- We will use the contact information provided in this form to keep in touch with you while you are in quarantine. You should not leave your accommodation during the quarantine unless you need to seek medical help.
If you have secured accommodation with a private landlord directly:
- You must check with them whether you can self-quarantine at their property, and what support they will provide with regards to supply of food and essentials
- If you are advised that you cannot self-quarantine at your booked accommodation, or that your landlord cannot support your needs, you must email firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be given an alternative accommodation for the duration of the quarantine at no additional cost.
- Please note that, once the quarantine period starts, you can leave your accommodation only in exceptional circumstances, such as to seek medical help. If you are experiencing problems with your landlord, please contact Accommodation services at email@example.com for advice.
If you are travelling with dependents:
- Sheffield Hallam is only able to offer quarantine support for students and is unable to extend this offer to you if you are travelling with dependents, as the accommodation we have available is only suitable for those who can isolate on a single basis.
- The University strongly recommends that if you are bringing dependents you should travel to the UK alone, undertake your supported quarantine and then arrange for your dependents to join you once you can arrange suitable accommodation and support your dependents in quarantine.
- If you do travel with dependents you will need to make your own quarantine accommodation and support arrangements. We would strongly recommend that a hotel / serviced apartment may be most suitable in these circumstances and a list of hotels able to provide support can be provided by the Accommodation services. When the location of the quarantine has been confirmed with us (and subject to it being in Sheffield) we will provide the standard grocery support package we would provide for single students in University arranged quarantine accommodation. We are not able to provide specialist supplies e.g. to support small children; these will need to be arranged independently.
Study during quarantine
You will be able to engage with any sessions and teaching delivered online, so please bring your personal laptop.
You will also be able to contact the Virtual Meet & Greet Desk with any questions you may have.
*Due to the COVID-19 Health & Safety measures, face coverings must be worn in enclosed public spaces in England including public transport, railway and bus stations and airports.