Introduction to Computer Networks and Image Processing Summer School
31 July-11 August 2017
Experience UK study and gain knowledge in computer networks and image processing.
Our residential summer school offers a first-class learning experience in computer networks and image processing as well as a real taste of what it's like to be part of our vibrant, international community in Sheffield.
This summer school introduces you to computer networking, image processing, basic algorithm development and the real-life application of this knowledge in hardware systems. You'll learn how to capture, process and set up an image/video network.
Our students have access to outstanding facilities including our dedicated networking laboratories. You'll have the chance to use a range of cameras and programmable Raspberry Pi hardware as well as software interfaces and network infrastructure.
This year's summer school will take place from 31 July-11 August 2017.
What are the entry requirements?
This summer school is suitable for anyone with an interest in computer networks. There are no specific entry requirements to join this summer school.
Please note that we are not able to consider applications from anyone under the age of 18 years at the start of the programme.
How might you benefit from joining the Computer Networks and Image Processing Summer School?
At this summer school, you'll experience what it's like to study on courses at Sheffield Hallam. During the summer school, you are offered a number of projects tailored to your educational level. The projects focus on opportunities to build skills in computer networks and experience UK education.
You'll benefit by learning skills and knowledge including
- how computers networks operate
- an introduction to network programming and how to design a client or a server program
- applied experience of image processing programming, deployment of code on Raspberry Pi hardware and the design of an image processing network
- transferable skills in project management, group work and presentation skills
This summer school will also help you
- develop vital research skills
- learn to work independently
- understand exciting employment opportunities in computer networking
- develop your experience of what it would be like to study a course at Sheffield Hallam University
- meet students and lecturers from different countries and cultures
You'll be in the classroom an average of 20 hours per week. Here is a sample timetable of the first week of the summer school.
Summer school staff
Dr Jims Marchang: I am a lecturer in the Department of Computing (Computer Systems and Networks Group). My interest lies in designing smart future networking technologies including the Internet of Things. Actively engaged in research activities and organising workshops to design intelligent devices for future networking technologies.
Dr Deepayan Bhowmik: I am a lecturer in the Department of Computing at Sheffield Hallam. Having a background in image processing, I have carried out research at the University of Sheffield and Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh. I published and presented my work in leading conferences and journals around the world. I love to develop new computer vision algorithms for security and surveillance and design hardware.
You will stay in student accommodation (a residence managed by the University in partnership with private landlords) which is within walking distance of the University. You will have use of a single study bedroom with ensuite shower and toilet, and access to a shared kitchen.
On-site laundry facilities and Wi-Fi internet connection are also provided in the halls of residence.
How much does it cost?
The Computer Networks and Image Processing Summer School costs £1,100.
If you return to Sheffield Hallam to study an undergraduate or postgraduate course, you could be eligible for at least a £1,000* discount. Find out more about our scholarships and discounts for full-time study here.
* Terms and conditions apply
The summer school fee includes
- the opportunity to book a free pick-up service from Manchester Airport on 29 or 30 July 2017 only
- the opportunity to book a return trip to Manchester Airport on 12 or 13 August 2017 only
- tuition fees
- student accommodation in Sheffield in single-occupancy bedrooms with private ensuite bathroom, and shared kitchen facilities
- wireless internet access on university premises and in the accommodation
The price does not include
- roundtrip airfare and/or other travel costs for getting to the UK
- local travel in the UK
- travel or medical insurance
- breakfast, lunch and dinners and beverages (unless specified)
- accommodation for friends and family of students
- cost of additional travel at weekends
How do I apply?
Individual students attending the summer school can make full payment online. Details will be provided once you have applied for the course.
Deadline for applications is 14 June 2017.
How do I pay my fees?
All amounts are payable in pounds sterling. You can pay by bank transfer or by credit card. Your payment must be paid in full by 20 June 2017.
Once we have received your fees, you will receive a visa letter to support your application for a short-term study visa for the summer school.
Is there a refund policy?
- If you withdraw your application before 20 June your fees will be refunded in full
- If you withdraw after 20 June because your visa has been refused, you will be refunded in full
- If you withdraw after 20 June 2017 and before arriving at Sheffield Hallam University for reasons other than a visa refusal), we will refund your fees less £600 administration charge
- You will not receive a refund if you withdraw after arriving in the UK for the summer school
|14 June 2017||Deadline for applications|
|20 June 2017||Deadline for payment|
|21 June 2017||You will receive your visa letter
|22 June 2017||Apply for your visa|
|29-30 July||Arrive at Sheffield Hallam University for the International Summer School|